Anyone own C&J "Weymouth"?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Doc4, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

I'm lusting after a higher-end English whole-cut brown shoe, and have fixed my gaze upon the C&J "Weymouth" ... http://www.shoes.shoppingsection.co....Category_Code=

Does anyone have experience with this shoe in person? I'm thinking of how it looks in real life (both colour and style/shape) as well as the fit.

Of course, if anyone has a suggestion of an even better shoe that might interest me more, I'd be delighted to entertain alternatives. (The hole-punch detailing on the toe doesn't bother me, but isn't essential either.)

Any idea on the best internet sites to buy from and timing for sales? Thanks guys!

2. thinman

thinman Senior member

www.plal.com would have the best price (though they're highly regarded on the forum, I've never ordered from them). Ben Silver is very overpriced, but AFAIK BS is the only source for the Weymouth in British tan.

3. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

I have this shoe in antique brown calf and love it - I wear a 12.5-13 US and the UK12E fits me perfectly. [​IMG]

4. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

P.Lal for sure. Interesting about the tan; if P.Lal had it, I probably would have taken that over the antique calf. But I will live happily with the calf.

5. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

I have these shoes without medallion and I am using them very rarely. I am sort of ok with the way they look. These C&J shoes are rarely as elegant or well finished as Italian counterparts. A bit boring and a bit rustic around the edges, wait that sums it up for most things British, does not it?

6. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

If it doesn't have the medallion, it's not as interesting, IMO. They are one of the top 3 CJs I still want.

7. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

If it doesn't have the medallion, it's probably the Alex, which is a benchgrade shoe on a different last. But DK just likes to hate on british shoes, so...

8. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

If it doesn't have the medallion, it's probably the Alex, which is a benchgrade shoe on a different last. But DK just likes to hate on British shoes, so...
    I actually think he is on a rant ...

9. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

If it doesn't have the medallion, it's probably the Alex, which is a benchgrade shoe on a different last.

To add to the confusion, the handgrade wholecut sans medallion seems to go by a couple of names: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=70473&page=3

Nice, but I still prefer the Weymouth and medallion.

10. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

www.plal.com would have the best price (though they're highly regarded on the forum, I've never ordered from them). Ben Silver is very overpriced, but AFAIK BS is the only source for the Weymouth in British tan.

Does Plal have sales, or do they just run the same prices all the time?

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Every day low, low prices.

12. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

If it doesn't have the medallion, it's probably the Alex, which is a benchgrade shoe on a different last. But DK just likes to hate on british shoes, so...

Can you really mistake shoe models if you have them in your hands? May be you can, but I can read Ingrish. It says Weymouth II Handgrade, albeit British handwork which looks like it's made by a lazy child who lost interets half-way through the process.

13. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Can you really mistake shoe models if you have them in your hands? May be you can, but I can read Ingrish.

Well, I wouldn't put anything past someone who can claim that Italians generally have better attention to detail than the English on comparably priced shoes.

14. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

15. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Careful. You could put an eye out with those.