• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone out there live in downtown LA?

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
specifically, anyone out there live in one of the many new loft conversions in downtown LA? i'm curious what the people are like, cost of living, safety, etc.

-Jeff

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived at 4th and Main (in the "Old Bank District") when the buildings there were first converted into lofts. I moved out probably six years ago, and so I'm sure that things have changed a lot since then. At the time, the area was fairly shady, but I still walked around quite a bit without any problems. There were a lot of cool people living in Gilmore's loft buildings, but I was frustrated by management there (not sure if the situation has improved in recent years).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
I lived at 4th and Main (in the "Old Bank District") when the buildings there were first converted into lofts. I moved out probably six years ago, and so I'm sure that things have changed a lot since then. At the time, the area was fairly shady, but I still walked around quite a bit without any problems. There were a lot of cool people living in Gilmore's loft buildings, but I was frustrated by management there (not sure if the situation has improved in recent years).

Pre-hipster hipsterdom?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stayed with a friend who lives in a converted loft building. The area is still pretty shady, and we did not feel comfortable walking outside at night, not that there was anything to go without a car. Most of the people living there were in their 20's.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
My closest friends are thinking of buying one of those lofts...there are free van tours that take you to all the lofts and show you around. They seem pricey for what you dont get....iirc 800sqft costs upwards of 350,000, which is a lot for not much space and 2 pillars cutting into the room's space. seems like a cool area to live, geographically, you have Little Tokyo a walk away, Phillipe's just down the road, and tons of downtown bars to hang out at.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
seems like a cool area to live, geographically, you have Little Tokyo a walk away, Phillipe's just down the road, and tons of downtown bars to hang out at.

that puts you around the corner from skid row.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are finally building a downtown chain supermarket. A Ralphs I believe. Its, IMO at least 3-5 years before its an actual livable situation. My parents have a condo near downtown...the train system is a little better. Little Tokyo is nice, but again, Skid Row is a block away, I wouldn't feel exactly comfortable walking around at night for leisure very far.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, most of those places advertise "24-hour security". the concept of living in a fairly densely populated area with fellow 20,30-somethings is appealing but the execution in downtown LA leaves much to be desired it seems. especially at the $500-600 sq ft rates that people are asking.

at the very least though, i'll check out the available units at the Eastern Columbia:

-Jeff

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there a lot of 20-30 year olds actually living in Downtown LA? I know two people living down there in those lofts, but it doesn't seem like exactly like a dense population of 20-30 year olds.

There is some nightlife there, but for me, its a bit far as I live near the beach. It should be growing and "hip" but that's when the LA LIVE area is done (I can't imagine the traffic down there once that happens).

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
I work in the vicinity of Alameda and First st. The new loft spaces are small and pricey. The neighborhood is shady (especially in the evenings) and Skid Row is on your doorstep. Nobody ever mentions the sheer amount of industry still going on in the area either, add the congestion of the freeways close by (101, 5, 10 & 60) and your spending North of 500k to expose your health to greater harm from all of the pollutants and manufacturing activity along the river and neighborhoods. The developers built all these properties before really thinking about the community. Skid Row, Pollution, Industrial activity, Transportation and lack of resources (Supermarkets, Pharmacies etc). If the neighborhood was given an opportunity to grow like Williamsburg and Green point in New York with cheaper rents and property prices to attract people who will slowly develop the neighborhood it could be a good thing. Instead the developers have come in with really high entry level prices and the properties are remaining vacant because of this. My work colleague previewed a loft at the Biscuit Company Building (One of the nicer properties http://www.biscuitcompanylofts.com/) and said the price for the amount of space in that neighborhood is laughable.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah, what a NYer would do for $600/sq. ft...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Ah, what a NYer would do for $600/sq. ft...

But downtown LA is a comparative wasteland. Think Tribeca in the '70s, but far from everything, except huge office buildings and fleamarkets, and no subway

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
But downtown LA is a comparative wasteland. Think Tribeca in the '70s, but far from everything, except huge office buildings and fleamarkets, and no subway

Ah, but there IS a subway. If you want to go to Hollywood & Highland, or to Vermont and Wilshire, you can leave that car at home!

If you need to get most other places, you're SOL.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Then why is it called downtown?
confused.gif

Are you stalking me again?

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, so this begs the question, for LAers, name me some good, safe walkable neighborhoods that won't stretch the budget.

oh, if only i could say f*ck it all and move to SF...oh, and if SF was really really cheap...

-Jeff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads