• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Anyone out there change (customize) their shirt buttons?

TheConstantGardener

Active Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
So I've been thinking that buttons are another thing I should think about more in regards to dress shirts,
for two reasons:

1) I bet the right buttons can really transform a shirt

2) On most of my shirts, I'm not happy with the placement of the second to last button.
They are almost all too high for my tastes and I was thinking I could fix that myself.

Is this common?
The only other thing will be learning how to sow on a button, which I'm sure is easy.
Thoughts or comments appreciated!
 

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
4,328
Reaction score
44
Originally Posted by TheConstantGardener
1) I bet the right buttons can really transform a shirt
I've thought about it... then I realized how overly obsessive it seems.
Originally Posted by TheConstantGardener
2) On most of my shirts, I'm not happy with the placement of the second to last button. They are almost all too high for my tastes and I was thinking I could fix that myself. The only other thing will be learning how to sow on a button, which I'm sure is easy.
The issue will not be moving the second last button... but moving the second last button hole.*DURH!*
 

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by TheConstantGardener
So I've been thinking that buttons are another thing I should think about ...

1) I bet the right buttons can really transform a shirt

Thoughts or comments appreciated!


+1
 

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
1,845
Reaction score
2
I don't change buttons, but I have a huge number of shirt studs.
 

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2006
Messages
3,830
Reaction score
150
done it, huge pain in the ass.
 

ChriO

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
To sew buttons is easy, I did that a few times as a way to correct cuff size.

Originally Posted by TheConstantGardener
2) On most of my shirts, I'm not happy with the placement of the second to last button.
They are almost all too high for my tastes and I was thinking I could fix that myself.


That is a problem. What will you do about the button holes?
 

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
393
2) On most of my shirts, I'm not happy with the placement of the second to last button.
They are almost all too high for my tastes and I was thinking I could fix that myself.

and what do you do about the buttonhole that is already there?
 

Azure

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
505
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by ChriO
To sew buttons is easy, I did that a few times as a way to correct cuff size.



That is a problem. What will you do about the button holes?


And what about collar size? I´m 40 of collar but I have some slim nice shirts that are pretty good to me except if wearing a tie,being 41 one more size.

Could I streetch one collar size moving the collar button? I need to streetch like 2,5 cm. ( 1 inch) to get the collar adjusted witouth being baggy.

Thanks!
 

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
393
Originally Posted by Azure
And what about collar size? I´m 40 of collar but I have some slim nice shirts that are pretty good to me except if wearing a tie,being 41 one more size.

Could I streetch one collar size moving the collar button? I need to streetch like 2,5 cm. ( 1 inch) to get the collar adjusted witouth being baggy.

Thanks!


by two shirts one where the body fits and one where the collar fits. have a tailor switch the collars.
 

Azure

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
505
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
by two shirts one where the body fits and one where the collar fits. have a tailor switch the collars.

In in ideal world ... perhaps.. but one shirt was herringbone and the other just plain so bad solution.

Any other?

Thanks
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 272 32.9%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.6%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,123
Messages
9,229,525
Members
193,737
Latest member
Sebastian R
Top