• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Anyone out there change (customize) their shirt buttons?

TheConstantGardener

Reaction score
So I've been thinking that buttons are another thing I should think about more in regards to dress shirts,
for two reasons:

1) I bet the right buttons can really transform a shirt

2) On most of my shirts, I'm not happy with the placement of the second to last button.
They are almost all too high for my tastes and I was thinking I could fix that myself.

Is this common?
The only other thing will be learning how to sow on a button, which I'm sure is easy.
Thoughts or comments appreciated!

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheConstantGardener
I've thought about it... then I realized how overly obsessive it seems.
2) On most of my shirts, I'm not happy with the placement of the second to last button. They are almost all too high for my tastes and I was thinking I could fix that myself. The only other thing will be learning how to sow on a button, which I'm sure is easy.
The issue will not be moving the second last button... but moving the second last button hole.*DURH!*

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking that buttons are another thing I should think about ...

Thoughts or comments appreciated!

+1

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't change buttons, but I have a huge number of shirt studs.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
done it, huge pain in the ass.

ChriO

Reaction score
To sew buttons is easy, I did that a few times as a way to correct cuff size.

2) On most of my shirts, I'm not happy with the placement of the second to last button.
They are almost all too high for my tastes and I was thinking I could fix that myself.

That is a problem. What will you do about the button holes?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

and what do you do about the buttonhole that is already there?

Azure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChriO
To sew buttons is easy, I did that a few times as a way to correct cuff size.

That is a problem. What will you do about the button holes?

And what about collar size? I´m 40 of collar but I have some slim nice shirts that are pretty good to me except if wearing a tie,being 41 one more size.

Could I streetch one collar size moving the collar button? I need to streetch like 2,5 cm. ( 1 inch) to get the collar adjusted witouth being baggy.

Thanks!

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Azure
And what about collar size? I´m 40 of collar but I have some slim nice shirts that are pretty good to me except if wearing a tie,being 41 one more size.

Could I streetch one collar size moving the collar button? I need to streetch like 2,5 cm. ( 1 inch) to get the collar adjusted witouth being baggy.

Thanks!

by two shirts one where the body fits and one where the collar fits. have a tailor switch the collars.

Azure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
by two shirts one where the body fits and one where the collar fits. have a tailor switch the collars.

In in ideal world ... perhaps.. but one shirt was herringbone and the other just plain so bad solution.

Any other?

Thanks

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 272 32.9%
  • 21 - 30