• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone on here Surf?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
I wondered if there were any other surfers here. Usually neckties and surfers don't jive.

I go out about once a week here in NoCal. Here's my local break on a small, glassy day:

prkr421d.jpg

Is that Taco Bell Beach?

I try to get to the ocean once or twice a year but near home, this is the next best thing:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Treen

Reaction score
I go as often as I can, which generally translates as 4-5 weekends and a couple a weeks during the summer. Regular spots are Cornwall and Northern Scotland, but I try to go somewhere more "exotic" once or twice a year, my favourites being places around Sothern Brittany in France and Northern Spain.

I love the surfing, but there's also nothing better than sitting on a beach with a fire, some beers and good mates after a hard day in freezing Atlantic waters!

dsbkoko

Reaction score
sandbars in SD need to shape up. This swell has been mediocre at best. Sigh.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bingo.
Nice. I was there for a day earlier this summer. Found it really busy and the fishermen were a pain. Ended up riding Montara several days after that, which I thought was better, although inconsistent. Really friendly folks at that little shop down the street from the north end of TB beach, though. Some Hawaiian guy owned it I think.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i grew up near va beach and was an avid surfer ... then i went to college in cleveland and now in law school.

moved on to snowboarding ---> miss the water though. falling on ice sucks vs falling and tumbling under a wave (although having your body thrown against the ocean floor or hitting your fins is arguably worse)

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
i grew up near va beach and was an avid surfer ... then i went to college in cleveland and now in law school.

moved on to snowboarding ---> miss the water though. falling on ice sucks vs falling and tumbling under a wave (although having your body thrown against the ocean floor or hitting your fins is arguably worse)

Living in DC must suck for you. I am at least within a few hours of several world-class ski hills.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Treen
Regular spots are Cornwall and Northern Scotland, but I try to go somewhere more "exotic" once or twice a year, my favourites being places around Sothern Brittany in France and Northern Spain.

I've always wanted to surf in England. What's up with Northern Scotland?? Do they get swell up there? That must be ice-cream headache cold.

Have you been to San Sebastian/Mundaka?

Originally Posted by unjung
Nice. I was there for a day earlier this summer. Found it really busy and the fishermen were a pain. Ended up riding Montara several days after that, which I thought was better, although inconsistent.

Yeah, it's always fairly crowded and lots of beginners, but I usually go mid-week when it's mellower. Montara is nice, but I always get the feeling that The Landlord is lurking.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's always fairly crowded and lots of beginners, but I usually go mid-week when it's mellower. Montara is nice, but I always get the feeling that The Landlord is lurking.
I just don't think about it.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Headsup, there are Matuse wetsuits on Gilt today. About half off retail. Good Japanese rubber.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surfing Vancouver Island in two and a half weeks. F- yeah.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads