Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Anyone know where to get classic felt hats like those in the movie "Lincoln" (NOT top hats)?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AgentChaosFlux, Nov 24, 2012.

1. AgentChaosFlux

AgentChaosFlux Member

Particularly the American version and not a British Bowler Hat? I think I can find a red ostrich plume on my own.

2. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

3. AgentChaosFlux

AgentChaosFlux Member

I tried registering for that site but the "random question" is a non sequitur and I cannot register without answering their question to their content. What is the answer?

"When Winston Churchill was Prime Minister he owned fourteen hats and one pair of socks. If he sold one sock and two hats, what was his father's middle name?"

4. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Baron's California Hats make a lot of hats for the movie industry. I don't know if they made the ones for Lincoln, but if so, they could make you exactly the hat you want. In fact, they could probably do so even if they didn't make the movie hats.

I would strongly counsel against doing business with the Village Hat Shop. I had a most unpleasant experience with them some years back.

6. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Really? I've bought a couple things from them (BTW, their house brand's- Jaxon- linen flat caps are recommended), and never had any issue. They've always struck me as a decent retailer.

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Briefly put, I bought a Panama hat from them at their store in Long Beach. Within a couple of weeks the crown split, and I took it back to make an exchange. To keep matters in perspective, I had spent several hundred dollars with them within the previous few months. They didn't have any suitable Panamas and kept telling me to come back. Finally, I agreed to exchange for a felt hat of equivalent value, whereupon I was told they would only give me $20 credit for the defective hat (for which I had paid about $80). I just took the defective Panama hat home and mailed it back to them with a lengthy letter detailing my dissatisfaction with the whole business. I never heard a damn thing from them. Without question, they were the worst retail operation I have ever had dealings with in all my fairly long life.

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Anyone know a good source for tophats? Thinking about getting one

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Huh. Well, that's certainly good to know.