• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know where I can find a green army jacket like this?

FreddieKU

Reaction score
bananarepublicfourpocke.jpg

Only picture available so I blew it up. Thought I'd found the jacket but of course the post is from 2006. Living on Top: Banana Republic Four-Pocket Military Jacket

Can't seem to find a jacket like this anywhere even though it seems like you see them everywhere. And no I'm not looking for a ****** surplus one.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the real deal. Yes a surplus one. Anything else is just a ****** copy.

FreddieKU

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Get the real deal. Yes a surplus one. Anything else is just a ****** copy.
Except the surplus ones in my area would make me look like a bum whereas a designer one would not.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FreddieKU
Except the surplus ones in my area would be more easily available whereas a designer one would not.
ftfy

unless you are looking for a status symbol its a ******* coat dude and its meant to keep you warm, and the reason bums wear m65's and m51's is because they do a damn good job of keeping you warm and even when paired with simple items make you presentable enough to go into a grocery store, library, etc.

i really hate it when people look down their nose at **** that is inexpensive or widely available as though it is pure **** or unworthy of their attention

I can understand the frustration over constantly talking about basics,quality,cost et cetera, and i understand that some people have well defined stylistic pallates

but really all this 'plebs' and 'bums' and so on really bothers me especially from people who say things like 'wear the clothes, don't let the clothes wear you'

the elitist country club bullshit vibe i get from some posts really shakes me to the core

/end rant

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Except the surplus ones in my area would make me look like a bum whereas a designer one would not.

Ah, yes - Banana Republic and its world-renowned designers.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Can't seem to find a jacket like this anywhere even though it seems like you see them everywhere. And no I'm not looking for a ****** surplus one.

Army surplus (and new) is usually crap. You'll look like a dirt-gang stoner. J. Crew makes a good fatigue jacket right now.

Concepts_BLC

Reaction score
Who HASN'T done one of these jackets? I think just about everyone from Gucci to Old Navy has done their own spin on the M65. You can find them everywear right now. I know Rag and Bone has a pretty decent one out. My suggestions would be to take your time look around and find the one that fits you best. Brand is secondary. Should be about fit.

@ Robbie, I agree with you man. I would wear something from a surplus store if it looked right. Dont get me wrong I pay very close attentions to brands, but if I come across something that is a good fit I will pick it up. Paired with simple high end items it can be a great value.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree w/ robbie, too. & I do shop the Army-Navy store and even thrifts occasionally. I have found a few things I like in army surplus, including a recent trench/raincoat. But you have to be choosy. I think the regular army M-65s, even from decades ago, generally are pretty bad.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm I really want one of those, perhaps two - one in black and one in green or khaki.

Is there a good place online to buy mil-spec M65 coats? I suppose I will check out the local mil-surplus store too...

How does the sizing run on those?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a killer RRL shirt that looks similar to that and it's so nice!

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
everywhere. gap, old navy, banana republic, urban outfitters, probably express, department stores, rrl, jcrew, apolis, wh, military surplus, r&b, shades of greige and that's just the first few i could think of. Military inspired jackets/shirts were everywhere last fall and this year seem to still be around most everywhere. I predict that next fall will see a dropoff in the military stuff and mall stores latest fetish for epaulets on everything

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads