• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know where a skinny guy can buy slim short fitted button down shirts in NYC?

bluetox

Reaction score
I'm tired of buying long sleeve casual shirts that look baggy on my slim frame. Ideally the length should be about where the belt rests, with slim arms, and slim silhouette (obviously to be worn untucked, I have plenty of looser tuckable shirts
plain.gif
). I tried women's button down's but they are too girly especially towards the hips where it flares out. I checked out: APC Bennetton Urban Outfitters H & M Absoulty Love Dior but too expensive for me Any other places on NYC? Thanks in advance.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might check the Band of Outsiders site and see who their NYC stockists are.

Lysol

Reaction score
damn, how thin are you that APC and h&m are too loose for you?
tounge.gif

did you look for anything at h&m that said "slim fit"? you can try the zara chain. there are two in midtown and one in soho on broadway, same block as the levi's store. they're like a european gap quality wise but their clothes are cut much slimmer than their american counterpart.

that said, i'm tall and thin as well and have never found a definitive answer on where to buy slim fit clothing that's also accomodating to my height (i don't like shirts that show my belt line). sometimes it's too short, too long, too wide, too tight. it's really just trial, error and many returns but it makes you appreciate that one shirt that's just right.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Thom Browne has well cut fitted buttondowns that are really slim and easily found in NYC, but they're $400 ea. Great fit tho

Band of Outsiders shirts look great, but still pricey (i think they're $250 retail)

for a more moderate pricerange, check out the Diesel store in midtown....their shirts are cut slim and much of the fall/winter line seems to be free of odd graphics/appliques and are just normal shirts

bluetox

Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far everyone.
Originally Posted by Lysol
damn, how thin are you that APC and h&m are too loose for you?
tounge.gif
did you look for anything at h&m that said "slim fit"?

I should of clarified, I'm not rediculously skinny and the APC, and the slim fit H & M fit pretty well, and would of worked with some minor alterations, but nothing screamed I must buy this. I just want to check out more places for slim fitting shirts to find that perfect shirt.

batch

Reaction score
Have you tried Steven Alan? Not super slim but nice fitting (and well made) nonetheless.

ts4them

Reaction score
I've found that the only short-fitted button downs (that hit just below the waist) are made by the designers and are usually pretty expensive. You can find slim fit in any price range, but I've never found a short fitting one that I could afford
musicboohoo[1].gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ts4them
I've found that the only short-fitted button downs (that hit just below the waist) are made by the designers and are usually pretty expensive. You can find slim fit in any price range, but I've never found a short fitting one that I could afford
musicboohoo[1].gif

Try Costume National shirts on Yoox. I am not particularly tall (5'11") and some models hit just a little (maybe 1") under the beltline for me.

Perfect length.

ts4them

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Try Costume National shirts on Yoox. I am not particularly tall (5'11") and some models hit just a little (maybe 1") under the beltline for me.

Perfect length.

Thanks for the tip!

dimshum

Reaction score
I personally suggest getting a good quality button up shirt and getting it tailored; not much can really beat that. It'll probably end up being cheaper than buying a high end designer item in the long run.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to CEGO and get something made for you; should cost around 100-150.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hugo Boss red label ("Hugo") shirts are quite slim fitting and you can find them at discounters for probably $40-60, check out Filenes and C21.

Histrion

Reaction score
My brother has an Hugo shirt and it isn't short. He is about 5'11", which isn't that tall, but he had it altered to be shorter, and its still lower than the beltline.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
My brother has an Hugo shirt and it isn't short. He is about 5'11", which isn't that tall, but he had it altered to be shorter, and its still lower than the beltline.

I'm about 6'1 and my red label shirts just hit my beltline. I have a pretty long torso though, I guess, as my inseam is only 32"

seanchai

Reaction score
I had a shirt exactly like this from Benetton two years ago. I'm surprised they don't still stock any fits like it. How big was the shop you checked? Did you look at Sisley, their "premium" brand?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads