• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know what these are called?

lpalma121

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever purchased a pair of winter boots but today is the day that all changes. I 've seen this a few time but I don't know what they're called. The soles usually say Vibram usually brown with red laces and they're heavy as hell. These are so tough that if I kicked a dump truck I would proabably dent it. Although they may not be the most handsome of footwear , i'm convinced they'll serve me well this winter. So if anyone knows what they're called it would help with my search. Here's a pic of what I am talking about.

lpalma121

Reaction score
KGrHqZHJ4E7tJ3bBPGwCPUhw60_3.jpg

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could try wolverine.. I believe they have vibram soles.

gsugsu

Reaction score
Just google classic or nordic hiking boots. there are numerous makers with this style from Fracap to Diemme to Rider to Moncler to no name made in a far off land. They are the old school form and are back in vogue. Of course for many they never went out of style.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a pair of Scarpa Trek boots like the ones pictured in this link.

They're 17 years old, have been resoled twice, and have been worn on countless hiking/backpacking trips throughout Australia and Asia. I've used them to climb mountains in Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan and Australia, and I've worn them to university, worn them to work, and worn them camping in the bush for a couple of weeks at a time.

In short, they're great and versatile boots and I'd highly recommend them, or ones like them.

One thing to look for in good hiking boots is the "wholecut" style. The main part of good, Nordic-style hiking boots should be made from a single piece of leather which is joined at the back of the boot. Over the back seam is then stitched another piece of leather, to cover that seam. The covering leather is then double- or triple-stitched at the seams to ensure that the seams are as weatherproof as possible.

When you get a pair, give them a good dose of Sno-seal or similar waterproofing product and put them out in the warm sun so that it soaks in well.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are also known as Waffle Stompers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads