Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Anyone Know Pennsylvania Dutch?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tck13, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

How do you say, "Can you catch a fly" in PA Dutch? And what is the appropriate respone? I forget.

2. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

In regular dutch it would be "Kan je een vlieg vangen?" but I don't know if its some kind of expression that has a double meaning or something. Is Pennsylvania Dutch a language spoken by descendants of Dutch farmers?

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

In regular dutch it would be "Kan je een vlieg vangen?" but I don't know if its some kind of expression that has a double meaning or something. Is Pennsylvania Dutch a language spoken by descendants of Dutch farmers?

penn dutch is a dialect of low german, not dutch.

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

yup. afterall, the "Deutsche" are Germans - and deutsche gets mangled into "dutch" in american english.

i have a couple of buddies whose background genealogy the pennsylvania dutch, and i think they were born in the lancaster region, but they spent most of their lives in western australia.

5. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Correct. I was trying to impress someone with a PA Dutch joke but I don't know how to write it. If only I knew some Amish people! Styleforum was my second choice to try to figure it out... What was I thinking? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. elusedated

elusedated New Member

Hey, I saw this was from a couple of weeks ago, but in case you're still wondering, I think I can help. Not sure if this is the proper spelling (PA Dutch being more spoken then written), but here it is, spelled phonetically:

Kannsht du mekka fanga? (Can you catch a fly?)

Ja, vann Sie hukkah bleivve. (Yeah, when they stay sitting!)

For those out of the loop, it's an old Pennsylvania Dutch in-joke/shibboleth to see if someone is from the community.