Anyone Know Pennsylvania Dutch?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tck13, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

How do you say, "Can you catch a fly" in PA Dutch? And what is the appropriate respone? I forget.

2. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

In regular dutch it would be "Kan je een vlieg vangen?" but I don't know if its some kind of expression that has a double meaning or something. Is Pennsylvania Dutch a language spoken by descendants of Dutch farmers?

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

In regular dutch it would be "Kan je een vlieg vangen?" but I don't know if its some kind of expression that has a double meaning or something. Is Pennsylvania Dutch a language spoken by descendants of Dutch farmers?

penn dutch is a dialect of low german, not dutch.

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

yup. afterall, the "Deutsche" are Germans - and deutsche gets mangled into "dutch" in american english.

i have a couple of buddies whose background genealogy the pennsylvania dutch, and i think they were born in the lancaster region, but they spent most of their lives in western australia.

5. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Correct. I was trying to impress someone with a PA Dutch joke but I don't know how to write it. If only I knew some Amish people! Styleforum was my second choice to try to figure it out... What was I thinking? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. elusedated

elusedated New Member

Hey, I saw this was from a couple of weeks ago, but in case you're still wondering, I think I can help. Not sure if this is the proper spelling (PA Dutch being more spoken then written), but here it is, spelled phonetically:

Kannsht du mekka fanga? (Can you catch a fly?)

Ja, vann Sie hukkah bleivve. (Yeah, when they stay sitting!)

For those out of the loop, it's an old Pennsylvania Dutch in-joke/shibboleth to see if someone is from the community.