• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Anyone know much about balmacaan style raincoats?

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Houston where theres not much call for a heavy coat but we do get tropical showers. I'm thinking of getting one of those aquascutum style tan raincoats like Harry Palmer wore, or Paul Weller in his early Style Council days. I would like it to be close fitting not like a cape, and above all extremely lightweight, perhaps even unlined, so it can be worn over shirt or jacket without sweltering.

Any tips would bebmuch appreciated. There are some on eBay bit its hard to gauge their size and details. Ta!

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Is there any other coat style than the raincoat? Can you lot not just set up your own sub forum rather than bringing raincoat crap up on a daily basis? Am I the only one around here that's sick to death of hourly "which raincoat" threads popping up?

^^^Good advice paraphrased from poster number 3 on this thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=196727

In slightly less aggressive news, the search function is quite useful. Personally I use an Aquascutum raincoat that's OK but has seen better days and I've just found a NOS Invertere which should be here in a couple of days. They're tricky to find as they are now out of business but apparently very good, as are the made in England Burberrys.

One thing to note is that raincoat sizing tends to be all over the place, with plenty of extra fabric cut in to allow for layers underneath. For example the Invertere I have bought was labelled as a 36 but actually measures 46 - my Aquascutum is quite a bit bigger than the advertised size, too. You may need to try some on.

Good luck.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sanyo Carroll model is a traditional Balmacaan.
It'll run much less than a Burberry or Aquascutum.
They carry it at Saks, Nordstroms,etc.

I bought mine from: customsuitsshirts.com
for much less about a year ago

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
The Sanyo Carroll model is a traditional Balmacaan.
It'll run much less than a Burberry or Aquascutum.
They carry it at Saks, Nordstroms,etc.

I bought mine from: customsuitsshirts.com
for much less about a year ago

Checked the Website. No raincoats currently available.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.