• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about Sulka Suits?

Bartames

Reaction score
I've read a lot on this forum about Saint Andrews Suits and their respective quality. Does anyone have any comments on this suit and the description made by the seller? Would this be considered a "real" Saint Andrews or just fabric? I am not familiar with Sulka. Thanks in advance. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....ck=true

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent quality. St. Andrews would be the maker, not the cloth.

Couple years old but that means nothing - how many times worn/cleaned is the key factor.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carlo,

Do you know of any industry connections between Sulka and Cifonelli?

John

lisapop

Reaction score
Grab it if it's your size. SA is a very high quality manufacturer. They did make for Sulka, which was a legendary, (very) high-end clothing store in NY.
Grayson

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carlo,

Do you know of any industry connections between Sulka and Cifonelli?

John
Nope - I'm betting Aharris will know

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sulka closed its last store in late 2001. By the looks of it, your suit is from the late '90s (my mid-90s Sulka suit had no vents). So your suit may be 5-7 years old as a guess (looks to be in good condition). You won't go wrong with St. Andrews. Here is a prior discussion of St. Andrews for Sulka: http://<a href="http://66.170.193.77......nd+suit</a>

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As others have said, St. Andrews is great stuff, and yes, Sulka had St. Andrews make its suits. Also, EBay seller Sartoriale posts on the Styleforum from time to time. I've bought from him too; in fact, about a year ago I bought a St. Andrews blazer from him.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think everything Sulka carried was house label only. Bergdorf carried a small line of Cifonelli stuff for about ten minutes a few years ago. There were some other stores that had the brand in the US as well, but Cifonelli has never had a very big presense here.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
 There were some other stores that had the brand in the US as well, but Cifonelli has never had a very big presense here.
Saks and Wilkes Bashford had Cifonelli around that time as well. However, it did not at all resemble the Cifonelli garments I saw in Paris at the rue Marbeuf boutique, not even the label.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was tons of Cifonelli at the Neiman's last call sale last year, but I don't know if NM still carries it. I've also seem Cifonelli at Filene's Basement -- I think probably as part of a Bergdorf's shipment.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
As has been posted here before, Cifonelli's ready-to-wear line in the US was made by Nervesa (sp?), which is unrelated to St. Andrews as far as I know. I have RTW in each and the cut of the models I own being slightly different.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most Sulka private label suits were made by Saint Andrew's, though I've seen a few by Caruso and Brioni. That suit is definitely a Saint Andrew's. Nice suit, great deal.

Bartames

Reaction score
My only concern is that I would have to shorten the sleeves a good 1-1.5 inches. As I understand it(based on another recent thread) with the working button holes, that would mean either shortening at the shoulders or having a tailor re-create the holes? Both options, so I've read, don't seem to be easy nor cheap. Is this a legitimate concern? would hate to risk wrecking a fine suit, however, at this pricepoint...

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
With the money you're saving on the suit, it's probably worth it to pay for the alterations. Since you're shortening by 1-1.5 inches, having the sleeve altered at the shoulder seems to be the way to go. If, say, you only needed the sleeves shortened by a half-inch, and could live with button placement slightly closer to the end of the sleeves, then the alteration would be much easier and consequently cheaper.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saks and Wilkes Bashford had Cifonelli around that time as well. Â However, it did not at all resemble the Cifonelli garments I saw in Paris at the rue Marbeuf boutique, not even the label.
Do tell about the Cifonelli garments you saw in Paris.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads