• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about Mephisto?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm trying to pick up a few pairs of shoes for traveling (after my story about my Schuberts getting thrashed by someone's roller bag) and I picked up this pair of Mephistos, but I can't tell what model this is. I tend to think this was a reasonably good deal, but does anyone know anything about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Kasper

Reaction score
A former coworker of mine use to wear shoes by a company called SAS which looked very much like these. He said they were the only shoes that he found comfortable due to a problem with his ankle.

whomewhat

Reaction score
If you have bad feet, as I do (six surgeries) then Mephistos are for you. A few years back I was visiting my foot doctor and he looked down at my Mephisto Abels and said: "Finally, a patient who understands that when you have bad feet you have to wear good quality, comfortable shoes, with proper support." He went on to tell me that he buys Mephisto and that he recommends them to all of his patients. I can definitely confirm how comfortable they are and how they help with my foot pain. I have 4 pairs that I use for everyday casual wear. Now, I also own several pairs of John Lobbs, J.M. Weston, and Berluti for my dress shoes, but even with their incredible quality and workmanship, not to mention how great they look, I must confess to an increase in foot pain. So, if you find a pair of Mephistos that look good, chances are they will feel even better on your feet. I hope this helps a bit.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I don't have problems with my feet but if they reduce stress on my knees/ankles that would be extremely good (2 knee surgeries and 1 ankle surgery to date)

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mephisto proved to be very comfortable for me, when I wore them. I have feet that are as flat as a board.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah you got a really good deal on those... if these are your first pair of Mephistos, you're in for a pleasant surprise! They are extremely comfortable... (even more than Santonis) - you're going to love them. If I'm going to be doing some serious walking (say, more than half a mile on any given day) then I'll only wear Mephistos. You'll notice a lot of rich, older dudes wearing Mephistos, but don't let that dissuade you... comfort is what's most important, and Mephistos have that in spades.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Yeah you got a really good deal on those... if these are your first pair of Mephistos, you're in for a pleasant surprise! They are extremely comfortable... (even more than Santonis) - you're going to love them. If I'm going to be doing some serious walking (say, more than half a mile on any given day) then I'll only wear Mephistos. You'll notice a lot of rich, older dudes wearing Mephistos, but don't let that dissuade you... comfort is what's most important, and Mephistos have that in spades.

Yeah, I figure they'll be good for airports etc.

benchan

Reaction score
You got a good deal, but I think Mephistos is overrated. I had a pair, and its sole wear out quite quickly. This seldom happends to me as I have very neutral feet. And the so-called air system, in my view, is hardly functional. They just punch some holes on the insole and that's it.

mr bunbury

Reaction score
I own those exact shoes and wore them all around Ireland, in rain, fog, mist, and mud, for all-day walks for three weeks--they were fantastic and, when dressed up a little, looked fine. Shoes like that are a _must_ for travelling. (The R.M. Williams boots aren't quite as comfortable but work well for that purpose as well.)

Great purchase!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have two pair and I'm actually wearing a pair today. I'm not a huge fan but I got a deal on them at GL in Paris...

The Good
**Well crafted, above average quality
**Very, very comfortable
**Somewhat stylish (some models not so much)

The Bad
**Very expensive relative to quality
**Have the almost unforgiveable Mephisto tag displayed prominently. I need to cut this off.
**Unusually high French labor costs create lack of any real deals in the U.S. based on my online perusing.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
I too have this same model which I bought probably 15 years ago. One of the selling points of Mephisto is that you can have them resoled. I tried this with the pair I have and the cost was about half the cost of a new pair of shoes.

To me Mephistos are comfortable but hardly worth the money they cost and the resoling didn't last nearly as long as the original soles. Quite a waste of money.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, my wife finds that Mephisto shoes are very comfortable as she is on her feet all day at work (hairstylist). Personally I have not seen any that are even remotely attractive, especially the men's models...

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have four pairs. Two are the Hurrikans, which is Mephisto's boat shoe. I like these a lot. They look like, well, boat shoes with somewhat thicker soles. One is a penny loafer (I want to say this is the Cap Vert model, but I can't remember for sure - basically the same design as the boat shoes). The fourth is the Mephisto "Match", which is their iconic walking shoe. I got them for a deal on ebay, and no doubt they're ugly as sin. I rarely wear them.

All four pairs are supremely comfortable and durable. I've had my older pair of Hurrikans for over five years, and they're still going strong (wearing them today as a matter of fact). As someone pointed out above, you do have to put up with the Mephisto logo on the outside of the shoe, but you have to put up with similar logos on a lot of different casual shoes.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I purchased the pair I did because they looked reasonably inoffensive, especially with jeans. I certainly wouldn't try to dress them up overly much. I may purchase another pair for wear with a suit specifically while traveling.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I got the pair I was targeting that I may use as a dress shoe in a pinch if I can only bring one pair of shoes on a business trip. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=012 These don't look too clunky, and seem like they'd be more or less appropriate for at least less formal business meetings.
33343831_o.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads