• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone know anything about jewelry?

emakris

Reaction score
Matey, joking aside, I'm sure there's no problem with buying your mom a diamond ring. However, traditionally a diamond ring explicitly states your intention to make an honest woman out of your better half or, as very well albeit somewhat cynically put by Mr Birdman, to get some. I'm sure this is not set in stone (err... yeah) and there are individuals out there that buy their parents diamond rings.

Would I do it? Nope, most definitely not. I would probably be looking at something else; maybe a return ticket to a sunny place or something.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or as stated earlier...a strand of pearls.
A diamond ring may have the "bling" factor, but it does not come across that way when you purchase for your mother!

Tarzan

Reaction score
Since I am a relatively new member, I didn't think about talking about my other hobbies but have a look here for a start http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll77/voleurderoses/

She is your mother, so I would say no to a ring with just one diamond, but yes to a ring with many diamonds preferably in a row, this is the usual pattern for a married woman.
And I would also suggest the ring to be on 18k white gold.

Currently I am selling only to friends but I have sent jewelry to people in other forums ( badgerandblade, basenotes, makeupalley, etc. ) . I also have feedback on basenotes as tarzan an on makeupalley as voleurderoses and on ebay as charitymarketer. If you like something from the photos I can send you the details and larger photos with the specific items and we can talk about a possible deal later.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm, interesting views here.

i know very little of jewelry: i thought diamonds were simply the traditional go-to stone when buying nice rings, earrings and the like. i had no idea that diamonds on a ring were considered to be for romance or the like.

with that in mind, i've found several rings to my liking that are of the 3 and 5 stone variety, of diamonds. these would probably be more suitable than the typical engagement ring look that i've been seeing on websites.

since this is a gift to a parent and not a lover, perhaps i should look to buy gemstones like ruby or peridot? peri is her birthstone, ruby looks great too though.

Tarzan

Reaction score
The rings with only one diamond are traditionally used as engagement rings. Now when a woman is married, in my country at least, right next to her engagement ring with the one diamond ( meaning on the same finger ) she wears one of the rings that have the 5 ( maybe more maybe less ) diamonds in a row.

How old is your mother? Is she into more classic stuff? Would she prefer a ring with a big stone, lots of decorations, or something more discreet?

Peri is nice but rubies, emeralds and sapphires are more valuable gemstones and look very beautiful especially if surrounded by a few smaller diamonds
devil.gif

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
she's into more conservative stuff. no big flashy stones or anything big.

thats why i'm not really considering thin bands, more medium bands that have stones either the same width or not much wider than the band itself.

i'm almost sold on ruby or sapphire: they look tremendous with diamonds around them.

Tarzan

Reaction score
If you want to, you can indicate some models that you like by mentioning the photo from the photobucket album, the row and the column, and I could take better photos and tell you details about the stones and the price.

Some that I think would be good choices are the following.

picture row column

dscn0178 2 2
dscn0175 4 1
dscn0158 2 2
dscn0158 4 2
dscn0155 1 3
dscn0155 2 3
dscn0114 4 3
dscn0107 4 1
dscn0108 3 1
dscn0108 4 3

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Diamonds are a scam. They are worthless stones inflated in price by a multinational cartel that kills children and supports slave labour.

If you were buying a diamond for a girl to get some, I would understand. As this is for your mother you should buy her something with real value that shows the monetary value of your love. I vote a gold bracelet or necklace.

and the gold industry is not guilty of the same things?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When you finally make your choice, can you pls post pictures........of your mom??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads