Anyone know about a gq knot?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RatPacker, Aug 21, 2004.

1. RatPacker

RatPacker Active Member

I know of the standard knot ties, windsor, half-windsor, shelby, 4-in-one, but I was at Neiman Marcus and bought a suit there. The salesman tied what he called a 'G-Q' knot and it was nice. The sales lady untied it and now I can't reproduce. Can someone help?

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

The Pratt is the only one I can think of off hand that you didn't mention. It should come up in a search; maybe that was it.

3. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

Can't help you, RatPacker, but I dig your avatar.

4. armscye

armscye Senior member

First, the Shelby is the same as the Pratt-- it's the "backward" knot you tie with the seams forward.

The one handy, highly photogenic knot you didn't mention is the Prince Albert or Doubled Prince Albert. Starting with a tie long enough to make a fat, boring Windsor, you instead tie a four in hand, but instead of wrapping it around once, you wrap it either two or three times. The result is a long, asymmetric columnar know that works well with large collars.

BTW, there is a book out there called (as I recall) 77 Ways to tie a Tie, with lotsa strange tie knots.

5. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Close but no Cigar... Actually I suppose that once you get way up there it doesnt matter if its 77 or 85. The 85 ways to tie a tie [​IMG] Incidentally I know someone (a customer who is a big tie guy ) that has read and practiced all the mentioned knots and tells me that in reality all the manners in which to tie the knot only yield about 13 different knots. JJF

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Here's how to do the Prince Albert, which I will be trying soon. You might also look at the cross knot with which I have previously been unfamiliar. Generally either I tie a Pratt/Shelby or a four in hand.

7. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I am kind of wondering if perhaps the salesman meant that this knot is really "GQ" as in a sharp knot worthy of someone who is way up in fashion (as all GQ Forum members are ... [​IMG] ) and not that there is a knot actually called the GQ Knot. I am gonne email my customer who has read the book and ask him if he has heard of the knot. PS: AlanC...I am trying to do a Faustian B job of mastering all the board titles as last post by FIHTies...Please dont interfere [​IMG] JJF

8. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

the trick to accomplishing that mind-blowing feat is to post stuff that noone wants to respond to.

i have a knack for stopping a conversation dead in its tracks.

/andrew - knot GQ

9. acole

acole Senior member

Re: 85 Ways...: Don't waste money on the book, just read the Physica A article by the same authors (PDF file; full of math & topology, but the figures and tables are really all you need). Â I don't know which knot is the GQ, unfortunately.

10. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

[​IMG] that is un-farting-believable. i absolutely love that pdf. and i don't wear ties that often. i'm going to have to start, just out of respect for the level of theorization they have brought to the world of ties. i find it hilarious and mind-boggling. /andrew - not a topologist, but i play one on TV

11. AlienSoul

AlienSoul Member

Why does tying a tie suddenly feel MUCH more complicated then before? My mind hurts a little after reading that.
    Someone had WAY too much time on their hands, if you ask me.

Josh