• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone into salsa dancing?

cmrocks

Reaction score
My girlfriend is from Mexico and she suggested that we both take salsa lessons. I thought it seemed like a good idea. I've always wanted to learn how to dance properly and it seems like it would be good exercise. It's also an excuse to dress up a bit.

Just wondering if anyone on the boards is into it and if they could offer and insights, comments, tips etc.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We went to a Salsa club last night. We know the very basics but would like to get better.

Me and my girlfriend are going for lessons in 2 weeks with another couple. We are both Puerto Rican so it's one of those things we'd really like to learn for our trip to PR later this year. With a large hispanic population in CT too there are lots of salsa nights so it would make the nights even more fun to be able to hang with the pros.

If you even are slightly interested in doing it, I'd say find a studio based on some recommendations and go for it. It never hurts in life to learn something new and it can be a good workout too.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Our university offers very inexpensive, government subsidized, classes for students. We're thinking of checking that out first before heading to any clubs.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's cool, take advantage of it! We are post University age so we had to find a local studio. Upon going to a salsa night at a local club my friend asked one of the better dancers how he learn and he suggested the studio we are attending.

Yeah it would be good to at least get the basic down before hitting the clubs. The biggest parts are going to be listening to the beats of the music and really getting the leading down as a man, it is very important in salsa.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do. All I can say is that is requires lots of practice, especially if you haven't grown-up with the music and are a complete newbie to dance. At first it's really tough cause you have to get used to the music, learn to lead, etc. You'll eventually get to a point where new steps come a lot more easily b/c you've got the basics down well enough.

I would highly advise taking lessons. Both group and private can be of value and offer different things in return. With private lessons, you'll develop better technique early-on, however you'll lack the crucial experience of dancing with lots of different partners, which is a benefit of group lessons. Overall I find that I get more from private though (and my instructor is a cutie) since I find that i learn faster than a lot of the women in the public classes.

You have to get used to dancing with different people if you're ever going to go to the clubs. Salsa is very social, and most people switch partners after every dance. Obviously, you don't have to, especially if you're with your gf, but still, it's good to learn to dance with more than one person. If you're always dancing with the same person they learn to read you very well, and so your leading might be really weak but you'd never know.

If you're gonna take lessons, you should hit the clubs at least once a week to practice or you'll be wasting your money imo. Either that or practice with your gf a couple times a week. They say most guys have an exponential curve in salsa. They get better very slowly at first, but eventually take-off when everything clicks. Can your gf dance btw? If so you've got a huge advantage over most guys trying to learn. I find it significantly easier to dance with good partners than people that are also learning since they're much better at following.

I'm actually talking to the girl i'm seeing now about taking salsa lessons with me. She's also got mexican blood. She wants to do ballroom though, so we'll see. I'd rather get good at salsa first before giving too much attention to anything else, especially givne my extremely limited free-time lately...

Anyway, it's a ton of fun and a great way to meet lots of women. If I'm in a bad mood from work i just go to salsa and I forget all about what pissed me off.

cmrocks

Reaction score
My girlfriend has never danced salsa before but I've seen her just dancing in general I she seems to have good rhythm. I'll have to look into it but I would imagine that all the salsa clubs in Vancouver are 19+ and my girlfriend is still only 18 so getting practice outside of class might be a problem. Either way, we are looking into it and I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dancing makes a lot of fun, but learning to dance can be a frustrating experience; for some people (like me) it can take more time than for others. Also, different dance styles suit different people. I have personally never managed to get into salsa (I really gave it a try and took a lot of classes, but the music never really appealed to me, I guess that I am quite un-sabroso). However, I love to dance tango. I normally go out to dance once a week. It is also nice if you are away on a business trip, in a city where you just don't know anybody. Instead of sitting in your room or in the hotel bar at night, you go out and dance and you often meet nice people.
Hopefully, you will enjoy your salsa classes and nights out right from the beginning, but just in case you won't, just give it some time!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
epa is right. salsa is horrible in the beginning. you'll be off-rhythm, starting and stopping, and it just won't seem that fun when all you can do is mambo and backstep. You have to keep at it. In montreal, one of the clubs has nights for different levels of dancers. Sundays are expert nights. It's really quite inspirational to go and watch. Some of the women there are incredible and watching them dance is a huge turn-on.

Looking past your current gf, it's an incredible skill to have. I can't even tell you how many dates i've gotten at this point by using the salsa angle. It's so different from what the average guy proposes for a first date.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you really have to take dance lessons every week and practice outside of class a couple times a week to really get it. I took two or three months of lessons, discovered I had a hernia, had surgery, haven't danced for like 3 months and really don't remember anything
plain.gif

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
epa is right. salsa is horrible in the beginning. you'll be off-rhythm, starting and stopping, and it just won't seem that fun when all you can do is mambo and backstep. You have to keep at it.
I'm two lessons into a beginner class right now and it is rough. I still have faith in the end of a tunnel, though.
laugh.gif
Interesting issue: salsa has lots of spinning moves, so you need shoes with smooth soles. This wouldn't be a problem for most people on here (at least in MC), but since I live on the Wet Coast I have topys on all my dress shoes! Last week, believe it or not, I put duct tape on my sneakers like I was going curling...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

cmrocks

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this old thread but my girlfriend and I recently broke up and we never did end up taking any lessons. It's still something I would like to learn how to do since I'm not a great dancer and I really do enjoy dancing when I go out.

I'm just wondering, is it strange to start going to a studio to take lessons by yourself? I've never really even looked into it before and I'm not sure what's normal. Do most people go with someone or do you just show up and then partner up with someone randomly?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
Sorry to bump this old thread but my girlfriend and I recently broke up and we never did end up taking any lessons. It's still something I would like to learn how to do since I'm not a great dancer and I really do enjoy dancing when I go out.

I'm just wondering, is it strange to start going to a studio to take lessons by yourself? I've never really even looked into it before and I'm not sure what's normal. Do most people go with someone or do you just show up and then partner up with someone randomly?

I've been doing ballroom dance for almost a year and I just go to the group lessons and pair up. It's a great way to meet people and you'll get to know the regulars pretty quickly. I'll echo what others have said and reiterate that I would benefit from private lessons in addition to group lessons and I also don't practice enough. Once a week, in addition to class, is probably a minimum to really learn to dance, which I usually don't achieve. It *is* a lot of fun, though.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with either ballroom, tango, or nouveau flamenco if you are an overachiever
tounge.gif

Also I would no doubt go with the lessons if they are free, that is a great opportunity and you should not pass it up.

JB

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the intermediate level class my gf and I went to, the majority of people were not couples. There were some older guys that would hold my gf a little too close or make her really uncomfortable, but unless you plan on dancing with when, it shouldn't be a problem...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads