Anyone interested in joining me in a bulk order of 13" Tailors' Shears (scissors) made in Italy?

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by idfnl, Oct 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ladykatza

ladykatza Member

I was telling my father about this opportunity and he was asking what kind of metal it was made of (my father was an electronics and manufacturing engineer, he is very familiar with manufacturing processes of all kinds, he's 78). I told him that I wasn't sure, but that the foundry still has the original molds. His eyes lit up and he said "OH! It's a poured cast mold! Those hold a razor sharp edge, you're getting a great deal then!".

So for those of you curious, check out this wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casting_(metalworking)

This is why they are so expensive and not really made anymore, gravity pouring molten metal is very tricky as they have to get the environmentals just right, vacuum or tamp out all the air bubbles, and then there is the grinding, polishing by hand, not to mention the smaller bolts that are specific to these shears. I found this fascinating but I'm a huge nerd (I research manufacturing processes for textiles too. Don't invite me to a cocktail party unless you are trying to make people leave).

2. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

That sounds like my kind of cocktail party! [​IMG]

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Fantastic to hear. Thanks for sharing this.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Down to the last 5 deposits, thanks for the quick turnaround everyone!

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Hey everyone,

All deposits have been paid. Remarkably, nobody has cancelled their order. Even the person I thought was not going to join in popped up at the last minute. I really appreciate everyone's commitment, and intend to expedite the process as much as possible.

As of now, the books are closed. I have ordered 2 extra pairs for anyone that wants to join in, and I will honor the price I quoted everyone, so if you want a pair PM me right away. Once those 2 pairs have deposits paid, there won't be any more for this run.

Once those 2 pairs are committed, I will update the thread, so until that update happens, the 2 pairs are available.

I can also report that some cool developments are in flight. We have piqued the factory's interest with the size of our order (112 pairs!), so I think there is more to come.

Thanks again for everyone's support.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  6. twotrey

twotrey Senior member

This sounds terrific. I look forward to hearing about these developments. Thanks again for setting this up!

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

@incontro

How are B&T on shears?

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Hey everyone, quick update. Last 2 pairs for this run have been claimed. Books are closed.

The deposit has been wired, production should be initiated this week.

Once we are closer to delivery time, I'll start informing everyone of the process for final payment, tracking and final delivery.

A shipment will be made from within the EU for European buyers, so that should help save on shipping costs.

I sent all buyers photos of the test sample that was made last week, so check your emails to see it.

9. emilyrobin

emilyrobin New Member

Ugh! I just saw this on Jeffery D.'s blog. A day late & a dollar short.
    Would love to get in on a future (fingers crossed) order.

Thanks

10. PhilipE

PhilipE New Member

I realize that the trigger has been pulled on this order - but perhaps while things are in progress I could join in. If so - please advise what you would like from me.
    Thanks
    P

11. MonaPut

MonaPut New Member

I notice I am too late for this order. If by chance you organize another run, I would definitely be interested.
    Ramona

12. Gustart

Gustart New Member

I would love a pair of those shears. good weight good feel no tired fingers.

13. sartbaeklv

sartbaeklv Senior member

I would also like in if the order books ever opens again.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Hey folks, I just emailed everyone some photos from the actual manufacturing process for the shears... pretty cool seeing the shears in the mold red hot, check your emails. Manufacturing is in full swing, and it looks like our target dates remain in tact.

For the folks above that I have not reached out to, I will contact you once this order is fulfilled with the goals for a 2nd run.

At this point, I can share we are gathering names for a set of 16" shears, but this endeavor will be much more complicated as the mold doesn't exist. If anyone wants to express some early interest, please send me a PM. I'm not sure if I should start another thread about it or keep this one alive, but once this order is fulfilled, I'll start that process.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  15. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

i'd be interested in a 16 inch