• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone in politics(DC)???

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since much of the crowd here seems as though they could be <fashionably> waltzing amongst the movers and shakers of the DC area, I was curious if anyone here is involved in politics or works in DC? If so..what do you do? I am thinking about trying to move out there with school or work as an excuse. Just curious!
fight[1].gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PM member Connemara

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
PM member Connemara
The combination of your post count and your avatar has me hesitatant to take anything you say seriously
lol8[1].gif

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
I'm in DC. What are you trying to do?
Not sure. I would probably do anything to get a foot in the door. Advocacy/consulting/analysis would probably top my list if I got to choose, though. Wouldn't mind being a staffer, either.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your degree in? What is your thesis/dissertation about?

What issues to you care about?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should add that for those of us in DC there are distinctions that others in the country don't differentiate as distinctions. There is campaigning- the getting elected. There is legislation- the passing of bills. There is lobbying- the pushing of issues and language. There is fundraising and money management- both on the candidate side and PACs. There are think tanks and policy groups- they write papers that purport to be academic in nature, but are issue partisan; there is an absence of the scientific method and a desire to find the truth.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO go from private to public sector back to private sector. My GF was lobbyist, then had to turn states evidence for the FBI (no kidding) now she's in government and cleans up. Working for the government first makes you lazy. Get the desire to be on a &quot;get things done schedule first, then go to government and make contacts with an great work ethic, then go back to the private sector with knowledge on how to cut through the bureaucracy and contacts. In the end that's what you'll get paid the big bucks for.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hope you don't mind, Rugger, but I thought I would jump in here too. I was living in the DC Metro area for a little over 2 1/2 years, but had to relocate when the recession hit and I got laid off. Was working in advertising and marketing. Loved the area and recently decided that I need to move back. My goal is to try and be relocated again by January. If I am not able to secure a job by then, I have enough savings and a couple clients I do freelance marketing work for so I could get by for a short time while I continue to look.

I'm also interested in possibly pursuing the same type of carrer fields that you are, Rugger. Maybe we can help each other network? In the least, any help or advice shared in this thread, would benefit me too.
smile.gif

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
What is your degree in? What is your thesis/dissertation about? What issues to you care about?
My degree is polisci and my undergrad dissertation was on illicit weapons trafficking. I'm also in a masters program for Intelligence. As for issues, I guess defense, veterans and security issues would top my list. I'm open to anything really, though. I'd like to find something where I can use my creative/writing abilities but also something that requires networking, interpersonal skills etc etc. That's kind of why I was looking toward advocacy/lobbying/fundraising. I'm still all over the map, though. I've been to Navy OCS...got the boot for injury...trying to go back now. I'm in the application process for secret service, AFOSI, FBI and have been in the hiring process with several other three letter agencies. My lack of language and clearance is hurting me, though.....but I"m working on those.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, how does one get a job as a lobbyist?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
I'm curious, how does one get a job as a lobbyist?

Many lobbyists work in Congressional offices or committees as staff, become close with staff in other offices and on key committees and leave for greener pastures lobbying in their area of expertise: defense, transportation, housing, etc. A lot are former members of Congress who retire or lose elections and join big firms as rain makers. A good amount are high ranking officials in former administrations who lobby in areas where they held political appointment. You'll note that all of these groups are insiders and there is something dirty about lobbying about something you had control over previously and may have control over again- through appointment or otherwise.

Then there are the subject matter expert lobbyists. Former or current members of a profession who are elected to represent their group of similar professionals. Pilots, scientists, etc. They generally lobby on specific subjects only, rather than a broad range of issues.

There are others such as myself. I have been a registered lobbyist periodically over the past 5 years depending on whether or not I meet the requirements. I'm a lawyer for a not-for-profit group and periodically I write legislation that we are trying to get sponsorship for and then I have to go up to the Hill to explain it to Members and committee staff. I do it variably, and I prefer to be unregistered when not engaging in lobbying activities. Presently I am not a registered lobbyist.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
My degree is polisci and my undergrad dissertation was on illicit weapons trafficking. I'm also in a masters program for Intelligence. As for issues, I guess defense, veterans and security issues would top my list. I'm open to anything really, though. I'd like to find something where I can use my creative/writing abilities but also something that requires networking, interpersonal skills etc etc. That's kind of why I was looking toward advocacy/lobbying/fundraising. I'm still all over the map, though. I've been to Navy OCS...got the boot for injury...trying to go back now. I'm in the application process for secret service, AFOSI, FBI and have been in the hiring process with several other three letter agencies. My lack of language and clearance is hurting me, though.....but I"m working on those.

I would see if there are any of your home state's Senators or House members on the Defense Authorization, Homeland Security, or Intelligence committees and then apply to their personal staff. There are also appropriations committees for each of these matters in both chambers, but those staffs won't deal with as much policy as they do funding.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bump! Anyone, PM ME! Thanks again scurvyfreedman

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
I should add that for those of us in DC there are distinctions that others in the country don't differentiate as distinctions. There is campaigning- the getting elected. There is legislation- the passing of bills. There is lobbying- the pushing of issues and language. There is fundraising and money management- both on the candidate side and PACs. There are think tanks and policy groups- they write papers that purport to be academic in nature, but are issue partisan; there is an absence of the scientific method and a desire to find the truth.

The perfect summation of Beltway thought re: flyover country.

Very sad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads