• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone in government?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreyFlannelMan
I'd say it's fairly difficult. I don know someone I worked with who started out where I did and eventually became the member's Chief of Staff and then became chief of staff of the committee my boss chaired.

Frankly, most people don't aspire to that; they are there to get experience and then to move on. Plus, you've got to deal with the prospect that your boss may be voted out of office (it can happen), or chooses to run for other office, or retires.

Well, that's my goal. Learning the legislative process seems to be a very crucial step on the path towards lobbying/consulting in Washington.

What other jobs (realted to government) do former Hill interns/staff go into?

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Well, that's my goal. Learning the legislative process seems to be a very crucial step on the path towards lobbying/consulting in Washington.

What other jobs (realted to government) do former Hill interns/staff go into?

You may be interested in the M.A. in Legislative Affairs at George Washington. It's a good program. Regardless, one will learn the leg process in his first year there, whether one is an LA or not. One tends to absorb what's going on around him.

Many, like me, for example, end up going to law school. Whether or not they practice law is another issue entirely. Some, particularly those on the press side, go into PR or Public Affairs, where they can make much more money. Others become completely disenchanted with the system and do something entirely different with their lives.

I forgot to ask: are you young? If so, a great way to get your start is to intern in an office.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
What about work in the FBI/CIA? I'm learning Arabic in school now, plan to study in Egypt, and I hear that they jump on anyone who knows Arabic these days. Anyone have non-classified experience/hearsay from friends they'd like to share??

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is one aspect of working on the Hill that I find interesting. This is from the current Senate employment bulletin (edited for length):

---------------
NATURAL RESOURCES LEGISLATIVE ASSISTANT - ...opening for an experienced Natural Resources Legislative Assistant. Primary responsibility is to create and execute a long-term and far-reaching Natural Resources agenda that is focused on results. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following: creating and tracking legislation affecting all aspects of land and water rights, use, and access issues, energy production and conservation, Brownfields, Historic Preservation, and forestry.... Qualified candidates should have a J.D. and solid background in environmental policy, including knowledge of western land, water, and energy issues...
----------------

What is the fascination with lawyers? I have a PhD in environmental economics and I am, according to this, underqualified. But some schmo with a JD (no offense to those that have them--I've always wanted to study the law myself) has an immediate leg-up. And the answer cannot simply be a familiarity with the law--I, at one point or another, have known the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, NEPA, CERCLA, American Fisheries Act, Magnusen-Stevens Act, and others at at least a rudimentary level and some at a very in-depth level. Any legit explanations?

bob

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
What about work in the FBI/CIA? I'm learning Arabic in school now, plan to study in Egypt, and I hear that they jump on anyone who knows Arabic these days. Anyone have non-classified experience/hearsay from friends they'd like to share??
I don't know what it is like these days, and this is only one story, but I had a colleague a number of years back (immediately post 9/11) who was an expert in Islam and so knew many many people who spoke Arabic. He said that many of his colleageus in the field could not get jobs in the fed gov't because they had spent so much time abroad in Arabic countries not generally considered friendly to the US, which is where they earned their fluency, of course. Could just be stories for all I know, but it is what I heard once. Take it for what it's worth. bob edit for grammar.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Here is one aspect of working on the Hill that I find interesting. This is from the current Senate employment bulletin (edited for length):

---------------
NATURAL RESOURCES LEGISLATIVE ASSISTANT - ...opening for an experienced Natural Resources Legislative Assistant. Primary responsibility is to create and execute a long-term and far-reaching Natural Resources agenda that is focused on results. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following: creating and tracking legislation affecting all aspects of land and water rights, use, and access issues, energy production and conservation, Brownfields, Historic Preservation, and forestry.... Qualified candidates should have a J.D. and solid background in environmental policy, including knowledge of western land, water, and energy issues...
----------------

What is the fascination with lawyers? I have a PhD in environmental economics and I am, according to this, underqualified. But some schmo with a JD (no offense to those that have them--I've always wanted to study the law myself) has an immediate leg-up. And the answer cannot simply be a familiarity with the law--I, at one point or another, have known the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, NEPA, CERCLA, American Fisheries Act, Magnusen-Stevens Act, and others at at least a rudimentary level and some at a very in-depth level. Any legit explanations?

bob

because the last guy who had the job was a lawyer. I call this - my last sales manager was a redhead who played the obo, so I am only looking to recruit a redhaired obo player now syndrome. you can still apply, bob. you never know.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86

there are so few people who speak arabic in the US (who are not imigrants) that there is huge demand. I think that studying in Egypt is a great idea. it will also give you a fantastic look at another culture. I think that you will open doors at the CIA/FBI, as well as many other parts of the government. one thing that you do want to watch - be careful who you hand out with while you are there, you don't want to screw up your security clearance.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

---------------
----------------

bob

They rarely get applications from PhDs, so it's not on the radar, but I'd think that you would be considered very well-qualified by anyone who looks at a million resumes a month (like me). The committee staff would have PhDs on it, less so with member offices.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff GT and Checks. I don't actually want this job (and if I did wouldn't feel the least bit worried about applying) but it's not the first time I've seen/heard this. Again, calling up memories of my friends on the hill and what they've had to say, I've heard many times that not only was the JD prefered (say to a MA/MS) but the offices automatically paid more for the JD. Of course that could just be those one or two offices, and I know that some of that has to do with the candidate's other opportunities (hey, I'm no dummie economist, it's why I make more than my colleagues in french lit). But it just always makes me wonder. I particularly like your explanatin GT. Red-headed oboe player indeed.

bob

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff GT and Checks. I don't actually want this job (and if I did wouldn't feel the least bit worried about applying) but it's not the first time I've seen/heard this. Again, calling up memories of my friends on the hill and what they've had to say, I've heard many times that not only was the JD prefered (say to a MA/MS) but the offices automatically paid more for the JD. Of course that could just be those one or two offices, and I know that some of that has to do with the candidate's other opportunities (hey, I'm no dummie economist, it's why I make more than my colleagues in french lit). But it just always makes me wonder. I particularly like your explanatin GT. Red-headed oboe player indeed.

bob

My favorite recent ad was for a senior VP lobbyist. It also said "Excel a plus" so I think a lot of those "qualifications/preferences" are nonsense that can be ignored.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads