• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone here work in sales?

Ryan Holden

Reaction score

do you enjoy this? I always thought a position like that would be a lot of fun.

I honestly have a hard time imagining a better fit for me in particular. If it is the industry you are asking about (my clients are owners, sales managers and salesmen at tractor dealerships) I really think it is a personal fit. I have worked in many business environments, and this is very much my cup of tea. It's not as sexy as other industries I have worked in, nor does it have a fleet of private planes or drivers, but it pays well enough to make the travel worth it imo.

Does this answer your question?

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an accounts guy for a custom software firm. Mostly inside sales, and AMing.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been in IT (apps, technology outsourcing, you name it...) most of my professional life, first apps development, then operations, but last 4 and something years in sales. One of the the big name companies even my grandma knows :)

... and then, few months ago, they offered a nice package for me to leave, I jumped the wagon, and now I'm independent consultant advising buyers how to buy the same services I used to sell :)

What you learn is there is no "I do sales, you do something else", sales is just one aspect of everyone's life, and it is about understanding what OTHER people want, what they really want and why.

jrcampbe

Reaction score
I'm originally a mechanical engineer who got into engineering software sales, then enterprise software sales. I've sold software to businesses, specializing in large transactions of complex software to large, complex buisnesss, for about 20 years now.

I now manage, coach, and train a sales team for a software company covering the SW United States for them.

I'm actually here because my new job will have me going into an office. I used to work from home when not traveling with customers and so I had a very minimal business wardrobe. I've been buying clothes now for the office and this site has been invaluable.

I'm happy to discuss sales, or IT, or what I look for in hiring, or how to develop yourself to be successful in business if anyone here just starting out would like to ask questions. I was fortunate to get some good advice early in my life and I see it as a duty to pass it on.

Jim

cpearson_nz

Reaction score
I am a Sales Exec for a small BMW Dealership, I am responsible for BMW M sales and 7-Series client development and retention. I have been in the role four months, after leaving the safety of a very successful family business. I love my job and regularly work 12 hour days without regret.

Our Dealership is unique in that it is responsible for a LARGE number of high value and high performance sales, despite being very small in size and in a city with a small population. I am first and foremost a M-owner, having 2 M5s and a M3. I suppose this helps me 'sell.' Wouldn't change a thing about my job.

ccc123

Reaction score
I’m an industrial designer working for a Swiss company helping bring product to marke, not in direct sales role, but part of the mix.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads