• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone here use a Noctilux lens?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone here uses a Leica noctilux lens.

Can it be used as a regular 50mm lens? I'm thinking of an M9 with a 3 lens kit: a 21mm; a 50mm; and a 90mm. Would the noctilux make a good all-purpose 50mm lens?

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would the noctilux make a good all-purpose 50mm lens?
I can't see any reasons why it wouldn't.
The sharpest is the summicron, though, and focusing at f1 will probably be a challenge.
21mm and 90mm will each require a different finder too, but I guess you already know that.
!luc

pfurey

Reaction score
I'd get a 35mm before I got a 90mm. I shoot professionally and my most used lenses are 35 and 50, followed by a 24. I'm rarely reaching for anything longer than 50 these days.

lbtemple

Reaction score
I had the previous version Noctilux (1:1.0, not 1:0.95). It was a beautiful lens physically and optically. The only downside is its size and weight - it is big and heavy and defeats the point of owning a Leica. I traded it for a 35mm 1:1.4 which was far more practical and about 80% cheaper.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The 50mm/1.4 Summilux ASPH will outperform the Noctilux at the same apertures; it just can't open up to 0.95. The I'd think of the Noctilux more as a low-light speciality lens. For general purpose, look elsewhere.

Last edited:

aizan

Reaction score
rangefinders used to be the best type of camera for shooting in low light, so a noctilux does not quite defeat the purpose of using a leica. i agree that it is a special purpose lens, though. the 50mm summilux asph or summicron is what you're looking for.

an aspherical version of the summicron was originally deemed unmarketable, too expensive for the speed, so it was revised to become the summilux asph. oddly, there are new rumors floating about that the summicron asph is going to be made after all.

the 50mm summarit-m is another option. imo, the focusing tab and metal rectangular hood make it preferable to the summicron despite being 2/3 stop slower.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

rangefinders used to be the best type of camera for shooting in low light, so a noctilux does not quite defeat the purpose of using a leica. i agree that it is a special purpose lens, though. the 50mm summilux asph or summicron is what you're looking for.
an aspherical version of the summicron was originally deemed unmarketable, too expensive for the speed, so it was revised to become the summilux asph. oddly, there are new rumors floating about that the summicron asph is going to be made after all.
the 50mm summarit-m is another option. imo, the focusing tab and metal rectangular hood make it preferable to the summicron despite being 2/3 stop slower.

All this, and the 50mm Summilux ASPH is broadly considered the best 50mm lens ever made. The Noctilux is too big and too heavy for the regular use that a standard lens in intended for. F1.4 is already very fast.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been convinced.

I think that the wide angle tri-elmar , the 35mm 1.4, and the 90mm will likely be my picks. (although the new Fujifilm X-Pro 1 may has me re-thinking the need for a Leica system altogether.)

aizan

Reaction score
i'm ambivalent about the fujifilms. they've latched onto the demand for manual controls, and it's great that some of their "x" cameras have an aperture ring on the lens, and all have a shutter speed dial, an exposure compensation dial, and a focus mode switch on the body.

the fly in the ointment is that the rest of the user interface sucks, and that's not an exaggeration! i also have major misgivings about the x100's autofocus performance and, more critically, its manual focus capability. the x-pro1 may have addressed these concerns, and it may not even be an issue for many potential customers, so i'll just have to wait and see.

if anybody wants to make a quick buck, pre-order one of these babies and resell it on ebay. :slayer:

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm ambivalent about the fujifilms. they've latched onto the demand for manual controls, and it's great that some of their "x" cameras have an aperture ring on the lens, and all have a shutter speed dial, an exposure compensation dial, and a focus mode switch on the body.
the fly in the ointment is that the rest of the user interface sucks, and that's not an exaggeration! i also have major misgivings about the x100's autofocus performance and, more critically, its manual focus capability. the x-pro1 may have addressed these concerns, and it may not even be an issue for many potential customers, so i'll just have to wait and see.
if anybody wants to make a quick buck, pre-order one of these babies and resell it on ebay. :slayer:

I have some of the same reservations you do, particularly the manual focus issues. I also wonder about the hybrid viewfinder. Some folks seem to love it. Some folks hate it. A good viewfinder is important to me, so I will need more information on it before I make any decisions.

Having never owned an interchangeable lens rangefinder, I also have some reservations about the M9, particularly the need to switch to the ungainly universal rangefinder adapter whenever I want to use the tri-elmar lens.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would pick the Sony Nex-7 over the X-Pro 1, based on what we know of the latter.

If you haven't used an interchangeable lens rangefinder system before, maybe you should start off with one lens (35mm or 50mm) and see if you actually need anything else. It seems many rangefinder users stick to one primary lens. After all, a primary advantage of using rangefinders is their compact size. Carrying around a bag full of lenses defeats much of the purpose.

aizan

Reaction score
the x100's optical viewfinder is downright impressive, but the electronic viewfinder is already outdated.

i've only looked through the universal wideangle finder once, but i remember it being very nice.

how familiar are you with shooting rangefinders? have you used accessory viewfinders and superwides before? shot with a telephoto on a rangefinder? i just want to make sure it's the right tool in the first place.

lbtemple

Reaction score
I would pick the Sony Nex-7 over the X-Pro 1, based on what we know of the latter.
If you haven't used an interchangeable lens rangefinder system before, maybe you should start off with one lens (35mm or 50mm) and see if you actually need anything else. It seems many rangefinder users stick to one primary lens. After all, a primary advantage of using rangefinders is their compact size. Carrying around a bag full of lenses defeats much of the purpose.

+1 - The most fun I had with a film camera was a Leica CL with the original 40mm lens. The small size and light weight allowed me to carry the camera in my computer bag and take pretty much anywhere I went.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the x100's optical viewfinder is downright impressive, but the electronic viewfinder is already outdated.
i've only looked through the universal wideangle finder once, but i remember it being very nice.
how familiar are you with shooting rangefinders? have you used accessory viewfinders and superwides before? shot with a telephoto on a rangefinder? i just want to make sure it's the right tool in the first place.

I don't know anything about rangefinders. I used a pair of Canon F1 SRLs since the early 80's. Am using an Olympus E-P2 now.

I want something more compact than current DSLR's with excellent lenses and image quality, and a viewfinder that I can look into, as opposed to composing on the lcd screen. I want it to be as reliable and durable and well built as my Canon F1. (which I loved.)

The Olympus has been a good camera, but am wondering if moving up to a larger sensor would be good.

Everyone raves about Leica lenses, and I tend to favor primes over zooms, so the Leica lenses look like a good fit. M9 build quality, manual focus, and controls all appeal to me.

aizan

Reaction score
can you borrow or rent a leica for a weekend or more? there's a bit of a learning curve and it may not be your cup of tea. a lot of mirrorless cameras are going to come out this year, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads