• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone here play basketball for exercise?

TheD0n

Reaction score
I will graduate in 2 weeks and then move to Chicago 2 weeks after that. I stay in shape by playing basketball a few times per week. I am worried that I won't be able to find convenient pickup games once I graduate. In college I could go any day between 3 and 8 to find games.

I have done some research on the matter and it appears that the only two gyms with basketball courts are the DePaul gym ($85/mo.) and East Bank Club ($125/mo.)

To be honest I'd like to move on from playing with college kids after I graduate, but I will be living 6 blocks east of the DePaul facilities. I will check out Oz Park in Chicago for outdoor games, but that will probably only be a summer weekend thing.

Has anyone faced this problem? Did you stop playing basketball as much or was it easy to find year-round pickup games in metro areas?

shaycorl

Reaction score
Playing basket is pretty good exercise but this is no where equivalent real exercise i would rather suggest you to join a gym as you will burn more calories and can bring your body in shape.

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheD0n
I will graduate in 2 weeks and then move to Chicago 2 weeks after that. I stay in shape by playing basketball a few times per week. I am worried that I won't be able to find convenient pickup games once I graduate. In college I could go any day between 3 and 8 to find games.

I have done some research on the matter and it appears that the only two gyms with basketball courts are the DePaul gym ($85/mo.) and East Bank Club ($125/mo.)

To be honest I'd like to move on from playing with college kids after I graduate, but I will be living 6 blocks east of the DePaul facilities. I will check out Oz Park in Chicago for outdoor games, but that will probably only be a summer weekend thing.

Has anyone faced this problem? Did you stop playing basketball as much or was it easy to find year-round pickup games in metro areas?

I still play basketball 2x a week. I found leagues to play in, and some pick up as well. I found that I had to mix up the two as it is hard to find a good pick-up game that isn't already full of regulars who won't give you any burn/run.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shaycorl
Playing basket is pretty good exercise but this is no where equivalent real exercise i would rather suggest you to join a gym as you will burn more calories and can bring your body in shape.
you know, I am familiar with this argument, and you could probably find some science to support you, but I don't buy it at all. Humans are the variable here. If the dude loves basketball, he will play it and keep going back for more. No one loves an elliptical machine, they just say 'right, I'll do twenty minutes' and then spend the whole time counting down til they can get off it. They then realise how bored they are, and stop showing up at the gym... So sure, in a calories per minute equation, the elliptical/treadmill/rowing machine/stationary bike probably wins; but when someone loves what they are doing, they do it til it gets dark, and beyond, and ends up spending hours on it, and looking forward to going back the next time.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
you know, I am familiar with this argument, and you could probably find some science to support you, but I don't buy it at all.

Humans are the variable here. If the dude loves basketball, he will play it and keep going back for more. No one loves an elliptical machine, they just say 'right, I'll do twenty minutes' and then spend the whole time counting down til they can get off it. They then realise how bored they are, and stop showing up at the gym...

So sure, in a calories per minute equation, the elliptical/treadmill/rowing machine/stationary bike probably wins; but when someone loves what they are doing, they do it til it gets dark, and beyond, and ends up spending hours on it, and looking forward to going back the next time.

This, but also stop being lazy and start getting down the court and playing defense. Look at how Louisville plays in college vs. how the average NBA team plays. I'm pretty sure the Louisville guys are getting a better workout.

Your work may have a team that plays in a league, otherwise there are city rec leagues.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shaycorl

prove it. I don't deny the benefits of weight-lifting (I don't think anyone can) but I'll take basketball over any boring cardio or HiiT routine inside the Gym. It's a whole other story if you're just not good at it.

TheD0n

Reaction score
IMO basketball players have the ideal body type. Shoulders and arms are worked on defense and in boxing out for rebounds, the legs are worked constantly by sprints, lateral defense and jumping, and the core is engaged by the multi-directional movement.

It's also fun to play. I usually play 2-3 hours whenever I go. I think the exercise is unmatched. I love being a baller.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i play twice a week, aau b league. my son plays aau also.

TheD0n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i play twice a week, aau b league. my son plays aau also.
How competitive is this? Is it similar to intramural sports in college?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^more comp than i would like. a few former d1 players. varying skill levels but all heady players, lots of pick and roll, pretty solid d.

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
^more comp than i would like. a few former d1 players. varying skill levels but all heady players, lots of pick and roll, pretty solid d.

Totally unrelated kunk, but did you ever post those pics/videos from your lifting comp? And how is the rehab on your... was it back?... coming along?

overdog

Reaction score

24/7 access to pickup games was the best thing about law school for me. I'd suggest finding someone at your new job who likes playing as well, and try to get yourself into a regular game that way. You might also trying joining an association for young professionals. Sometimes they will participate in league games. Also try churches, community rec centers, local colleges. You may have to venture outside of the city for those. As a long shot, join the fan forum for the Chicago Bulls. Sometimes pickup games are organized through fan forums.

Skip87

Reaction score
IMO basketball players have the ideal body type. Shoulders and arms are worked on defense and in boxing out for rebounds, the legs are worked constantly by sprints, lateral defense and jumping, and the core is engaged by the multi-directional movement.

It's also fun to play. I usually play 2-3 hours whenever I go. I think the exercise is unmatched. I love being a baller.

e.g. Dwight Howard

TheD0n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Skip87
e.g. Dwight Howard
Heh, I think genetics has something to do with his physique. But yes, it is ideal IMO.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i think rugby players have better bodies (except props).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads