• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone here make a career from music after starting later in life?

andrew655

Reaction score
I decided to take the practical route, and train in computer science / software engineering. But just recently started learning music theory, how to play piano, daw tools like logic pro, and I'm pretty hooked.
I wish I started earlier in life instead of 29, and it seems that every person I've googled who became great at music production or made careers off of music started in their early 20s at the latest.
I know it's never too late to learn something new, but I do wonder if it's too late to become great at it.
I am curious if anyone here has started at a later age or knows an example of someone who has, and actually made a career off of music?

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I actually became a famous musician in my 60s, but I look really young tbf. Anyway, I recommend you quit your job right away and LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE.

cs1botasky

Reaction score
I think it’s never late if you goal is not to become a legendary classical pianist. Classical music is hard, really hard.

Wes Montgomery started pretty late (in his late or mid 20s as I remember) on guitar and he is one of the most important jazz guitarist in history. His unique approach has influenced many jazz legends (Benson, Martino…etc) after him. His music is never overly complicated but tastefully musical.

Far as I know, all serious musicians practice their foundation skills at least 6 hours a day when they were in music school, some could practice up to 8-10 hours, some crazy classical pianist might practice a little bit more…

Anyway, many of them might eventually stop their usual practice instead spending same time on focusing developing their own style after they have mastered the skills they need to develop their own sound.

If your style of music is more like blues/classic rock/metal/funk…etc, more like “modern” type of music, I think if you practice 6 hours a day, after 5 years, you probably will develop into a professional level musician. (Please add 5 more years if your focus is on jazz)

Apart from the basic musical skills (musical theories, ear training, good command on your instrument/software…etc), one very important practice is to transcribe the music you like, all legendary musicians did that, it’s the very essential part to help you truly understand why a musical piece sounds good, and since transcribing a piece takes a lot of efforts, a lot of musicians would skip it, however, those who developed this skill always more likely to become a better musician.

To become a professional musician, the road is very difficult but if you work hard enough (and practice right too), it is possible.

When in doubt, copy the musical ideals of your favorite musicians, everybody does that and everybody learns like that before they can create their own “sound”.

Good luck on your musical journey!

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
A good friend of mine is just finding her stage legs. nearing 40.
She is a white lady who sounds like Janis Joplin with a real raspy voice.
weird country / blues. And she is good.

If she can do it? what is stopping you or anyone else from trying? Go for it.

cs1botasky

Reaction score
Just an update, a friend of mine started off playing guitar seriously a few years back and after all the hardworking (and struggles) and building up his connections (work together with the people who have the same goal and common music interests), he is doing pretty good now. He has his own band, entering the finals of a continental band competition and his guitar teaching pays off his bills.

If you know music is your calling and you are good at learning it, then you should go for a music career.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crap, I'm 41 and started learning piano 3 months ago....now I just found out I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too old.
I feel your pain, brother... I'm 49 and started 2 months ago. Sadly, I invested in a Yamaha baby grand piano last year. So, that gives me a little more incentive to learn.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We are 70+ and both "retired" from professions other than music. That said, we both started playing keyboards before the age of 10. I've never cared to play before the public but my partner does. He is invited all over the world as a substitute pipe organist. So not a lot of $$$ but he enjoys it. We keep a harpsichord here at the house for practice.

We both have a special fondness for the late 19th and early 20th century French composers -- Widor, Vierne, Dupre, Alain, Messiaen, etc. -- and he enjoys the opportunity to play on a Cavaillé-Coll.

Nitrogen

Reaction score
I would say for most intents and purposes you are too old to make it into a very successful career, particularly if you have not been exposed to a basic level of musical training in your childhood. You might be able to find a way to financially support yourself with music, but it is highly improbable you will be very successful.

I started playing the guitar and the piano when I was approximately 24. I loved it. I also went through the emotions of realizing my limitations starting at a such old age, and gave up on any dreams of doing music as a day job. 8 years later I still can't read notes, but love to play, produce stuff and even compose simple piano and orchestral pieces.

rubelahamed

Reaction score
Yes... I would say for most intents and purposes you are too old to make it into a very successful career, particularly if you have not been exposed to a basic level of musical training in your childhood. You might be able to find a way to financially support yourself with music, but it is highly improbable you will be very successful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics