Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Anyone here from top 15 MBA??

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by zillka, Feb 3, 2010.

1. zillka

zillka Senior member

hear so much different info that MBA = crap.. i agree that you don't learn jack shit and what you pay for is 69% network, 30% direct recruitment, and 1% actual education.

also keep hearing that no one is hiring given the doom n gloom blah blah...

though my 2 best frienemies graduated (one top 5, other top 15), and were/are able to pay off their loans in 2 years due to extremely moist salary bumps... *caveat is that they went back to their pre-mba firms with higher salary, and were able to court other firms (other client) for salary feud purposes while staying at current firm, where as my current firm doesn't give a shit for the mba

they mock my plebeian, alphabet city studio sharing status and ask when i'll get mine given my work history and to be honest i've never thought of higher education as my priorities during my mid 20's were more in the lines of slaying concubines and brunch powder..

has it been worth it, or did you funnel your 150k down a black hole?

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

there's an mba thread

3. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

one thing is for damn certain, MBAs should not be in the Entertainment and Culture forum

4. rjacobs

rjacobs Senior member

i am an MBA student. i will definitely ask my interviewers to moisten my salary bump. this thread was worth it for that word choice alone

5. pebblegrain

bah whatever, I will answer your question.

there is a big difference between #1 and #15. Maybe you could slice the top 15 into 3 segments.

top is probably HSW. these are probably worth the cost, even with no scholarship. There are people who would kill to have these on their resume. In fact they would probably kill and pay double tuition. seriously.

next are great schools where for whatever reason are not the cream of the crop. we are talking U chicago, tuck, maybe UM Ross, Stern, Haas, maybe UCLA etc. These are also great and probably worth it, unless you are already in a lucrative field which you enjoy.

Unfortunately the end of the top 15 are quite possibly risky. We are talking Carnegie mellon, UVA, UNC, Dukes of the world. My belief is that if you attend one of these schools you should be very focused on what you want to do and follow that path from day one. You do not have the luxury of relaxing and reflecting on what great career paths are out there. That luxury is reserved for HSW.

Beyond top 15, I don't think it is worth it without a scholarship. If you are gunning for a #25 school and paying full tuition you should really consider attending a local part time MBA and having both your company help you with tuition and acing the GMAT to get additional scholarship.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

HSW = Harvud School of Woodworking?

7. zillka

zillka Senior member

harvurd stanfurd whartun

pebbly, word i gathered all that from all the mba 'going in' threads, but rare to see an mba 'coming out' thread, except a lot of ross kids tend to share their exp... which is dandy and i appreciate, but im not so sure their placement is as strong as to the field im in ..but further research will be in effect

8. why

why Senior member

You should consider going to a top-15 preschool first.

9. zillka

zillka Senior member

my flow's stupid wheelchair bound
    take the small bus all year round

after 5 minutes of research it seems i should be focusing on the cfa or i can just keep gymin' and sleep my way up and save 3 years of studyin..lotta closet cases at my firm

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I now understand the financial crisis.

11. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

You should consider going to a top-15 preschool first.
    Betcha didn't know you was gonter get some poesy from him this morning!
    my flow's stupid wheelchair bound take the small bus all year round
    Though yon ass might be in many ways capped, Not quite with words but punctuation zapped.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I'm from a top 1 MBA, I learned all about doing basic math, management and finance there while making many connections w. boring cocksuckers. I manage an hedge fund that could break your mama in half and am very happy with my car collection and my decorator-decorated mid-century modern apartment. Reading business cases has made me, like, super competent and stuff. My haircut is divine and I love jagerbombs.

13. CBDB

CBDB Senior member

I'm from a top 1 MBA, I learned all about doing basic math, management and finance there while making many connections w. boring cocksuckers. I manage an hedge fund that could break your mama in half and am very happy with my car collection and my decorator-decorated mid-century modern apartment. Reading business cases has made me, like, super competent and stuff. My haircut is divine and I love jagerbombs.

This^ explains everything! [​IMG]

14. why

why Senior member

Betcha didn't know you was gonter get some poesy from him this morning!

I woke up next to Sylvia Plath but she has daddy issues. I'm gonna dip into Housman in a bit.

15. pebblegrain

HSW = Harvud School of Woodworking?

no. Hart Schaffner Werks - it's a soft-shoulder finishing school