• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone here familiar with the Ralph Lauren Safari Eau de Toilette?

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren Safari is an old favorite of mine, first impression from a deodorant stick - maybe 10 years ago. It was a gift and I never got to buy it again. The scent stayed in my mind though, but it took until the autumn of 2009 before I bought the Eau de Toilette for the first time. I only regret I didn't do it earlier: This is a fantastic scent. I'm not up to describing it, you can find keywords by googling, but I'd recommend anyone to try it.

Anyone here who knows about it? It's on the RL website by the way, even in the left navigation menu - unlike before when they hid it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I loved it when it came out: one of the very few bottles I sprung for back in the day when I was a poor college student.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Still wearing it, or currently yearning for it?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
Still wearing it, or currently yearning for it?

Neither: moved on to other genres/styles. Odds are, if I bought a bottle today, it wouldn't be quite as good as I remembered it.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Neither: moved on to other genres/styles. Odds are, if I bought a bottle today, it wouldn't be quite as good as I remembered it.

I guess some memories are better off not being re-experienced.
teacha.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
I guess some memories are better off not being re-experienced.
teacha.gif

Well, it depends. Odds are that the formula's been tweaked in the 15+ years since it was first introduced, and generally those tweaks tend towards cheapening a scent. Pretty well every manufacturer does this: Chanel, Guerlain, Shiseido (Serge Lutens), so I'm not knocking on Lauren in particular, it's just a fact of life for the industry.

That said, I picked up a bottle of New West a few years back - this came out in the late-80's and I bought my first bottle as I was moving away from my folks. Each time I sniff it, I'm 17 again, on my own, and gas is once again under $1 a gallon.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was the **** (+ Azzaro) a decade and a half ago. Good smell. Moved on since then to Hermes Equipage and Bel Ami

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That said, I picked up a bottle of New West a few years back - this came out in the late-80's and I bought my first bottle as I was moving away from my folks. Each time I sniff it, I'm 17 again, on my own, and gas is once again under $1 a gallon.[/quote]

I forgot about New West, that brings back memories.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure all the nostalgia for Safari; it's still readily obtainable. I saw bottles of it at TJMaxx last autumn for $25. I also think it's at the discounters here and there.

Like T, I had a bottle of this WAY back when. It's a good entryway into scent that gets beyond the bland sporty/detergent fresh stuff... but nothing I'd stand in line for.

I remember it being a slightly fresh with a hint of spice sort of fragrance, though I've not sniffed it in years. I recall it being fairly subdued and no-nonsense, but definitely nothing groundbreaking.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought it was just the EdP that was at TJM. Then again, it's been a while - for some reason I found that most everything I buy at TJM/Marshalls I kind of don't want and never wear.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I thought it was just the EdP that was at TJM. Then again, it's been a while - for some reason I found that most everything I buy at TJM/Marshalls I kind of don't want and never wear.
Yeah, I never buy frags at the Maxx, except on rare occasions (they had some Parfums Berdoues there, mysteriously, once... a brand that usually you can't find outside of France). The only thing I get there is CK or RL underwear and soap. They tend to have some interesting odd soaps (morny and such) from time to time. Anyway, whenever I was there, I saw both the women's EdP and the men's EdT for around $24.99-29.99.

surfnbank

Reaction score
Not the scent for me but I figure it would go well with someone.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw it at Teh Maxx the other day, took a wiff...meh.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
With Safari, I think it's essential to wear it on the skin for quite a while. By then, the tobacco and similar notes will be more noticable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads