• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone heard of the maker Viyella?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a casual shirt today made by a firm called Viyella. The shirt is quite gorgeous - tan with an overcheck of black and brick red. 50/50 Wool/Cotton blend, and very soft. It has thick MOP buttons as well. It's made in England and has the HRH seal like T&A shirts.

Anyone know anything about this?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Historically, they have been a maker of wool/cotton fabrics. Perhaps now they make shirts as well.

The fabric is nice until you wash it as cotton and it shrinks down one size. Beware.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Historically, they have been a maker of wool/cotton fabrics. Perhaps now they make shirts as well.

The fabric is nice until you wash it as cotton and it shrinks down one size. Beware.
Well it was pre-worn and tagged as a size 38. It fits perfectly, quite slim. It's not my normal style, but it's just a great shirt. The pattern is really growing on me, and I love the feel of the fabric. Maybe I'll shake off my streetwear habits one time by wearing it with some charcoal flannels, my chocolate brown C&J's from Marc G, and a 3/4 length corduroy coat. A British look, I think.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Yes, Viyella makes very nice shirts, sometimes you'll run into their ties at a thrift store. Ben Silver carries various Viyella items I'm pretty sure. I'd really like to get a Viyella robe. I still regret the Viyella shirt I didn't get at the thrift store that time. Saw one recently but it had moth holes.

Good pick up, VM.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in my prep school and college days I wore Viyella shirts all the time. As I recall, Viyella was the fabric, but I don't remember who the shirtmaker was. I am virtually certain that the percentage of wool in the shirts I wore was much higher than 20%. As I recall the wool-cotton percentages were 50-50 or 55-45--something like that. I think I did have a Viyella bathrobe at one time, but it was all so long ago.
sad.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd really like to get a Viyella robe.
Aaaaahh... Makes me think of Quilty in Lolita.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Viyella makes very nice shirts, sometimes you'll run into their ties at a thrift store. Ben Silver carries various Viyella items I'm pretty sure. I'd really like to get a Viyella robe. I still regret the Viyella shirt I didn't get at the thrift store that time. Saw one recently but it had moth holes.

Good pick up, VM.
Silver had a V iyella robe on their outlet section, sized M. Half-off or so.

Etruscan

Reaction score
I could well be mistaken, but I've always been of the impression that Viyella is not a brand in the sense of a manufacturer but rather a trade name for a wool-cotton blend. I'm quite sure I've seen it coexisting with a variety of makers' or designers' labels. Does this square with anyone else's recollection?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I think it began as a maker of the wool-cotton fabric itself, and has been (is?) used by other maker's of clothing. I believe that along the lines of Zegna they now produce their own clothing line (or have it done under their name). That's my supposition but I may be wrong about that.

The Dandy

Reaction score
I can't say I've had any experience with the shirts, but I have one of the company's robes, from Ben Silver. It's quite warm while also being light and breathable. However, the caveat is that it's really rather itchy.

ROI

Reaction score
I could well be mistaken, but I've always been of the impression that Viyella is not a brand in the sense of a manufacturer but rather a trade name for a wool-cotton blend. Â I'm quite sure I've seen it coexisting with a variety of makers' or designers' labels. Â Does this square with anyone else's recollection?
Viyella has been through many incarnations over the past 25 or so years. The (fairly) consistent element has been that Viyella was a brand name owned by a succession of European and Japanese mills. The rights to manufacture under the name Viyella and to market garments under the name Viyella have been passed around like a Wellesley girl visiting Dartmouth. At one time, the Viyella name was associated with the 55% wool/45% cotton blend and was confined to Gant shirts. The alternative blend 80% cotton/20% wool was marketed as "Lochlana" through Hathaway shirts, though it was simultaneously available at Brooks Brothers as "Brooksflannel." After several years absence from the US market, Viyella reappeared (in the version offered by Ben Silver) under license to octogenarian Miller Harris,the past owner of Eagle Shirts, under the name Spinnerstown Shuttle. He has been importing the 80/20 version of the cloth from a Japanese mill owned by William Hollins, an English textile firm, and having it made up at Brooks' shirt plant in Garland NC. I've heard that Silver bought the goods through the shirt maker and had ties made independently. The source for the robes is obscure, though Brooks has made pajamas and robes in the Garland plant. Viyella Patterns at D Dann

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads