Anyone heard of the maker Viyella?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VMan, May 2, 2005.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

Just picked up a casual shirt today made by a firm called Viyella. The shirt is quite gorgeous - tan with an overcheck of black and brick red. 50/50 Wool/Cotton blend, and very soft. It has thick MOP buttons as well. It's made in England and has the HRH seal like T&A shirts.

Anyone know anything about this?

2. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Historically, they have been a maker of wool/cotton fabrics. Perhaps now they make shirts as well.

The fabric is nice until you wash it as cotton and it shrinks down one size. Beware.

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

Well it was pre-worn and tagged as a size 38. It fits perfectly, quite slim. It's not my normal style, but it's just a great shirt. The pattern is really growing on me, and I love the feel of the fabric. Maybe I'll shake off my streetwear habits one time by wearing it with some charcoal flannels, my chocolate brown C&J's from Marc G, and a 3/4 length corduroy coat. A British look, I think.

4. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Viyella shirts are a classic choice for outdoor activities. 20% wool makes them great in cool weather.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Yes, Viyella makes very nice shirts, sometimes you'll run into their ties at a thrift store. Ben Silver carries various Viyella items I'm pretty sure. I'd really like to get a Viyella robe. I still regret the Viyella shirt I didn't get at the thrift store that time. Saw one recently but it had moth holes.

Good pick up, VM.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Back in my prep school and college days I wore Viyella shirts all the time. As I recall, Viyella was the fabric, but I don't remember who the shirtmaker was. I am virtually certain that the percentage of wool in the shirts I wore was much higher than 20%. As I recall the wool-cotton percentages were 50-50 or 55-45--something like that. I think I did have a Viyella bathrobe at one time, but it was all so long ago. [​IMG]

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Aaaaahh... Makes me think of Quilty in Lolita.

8. Horace

Horace Senior member

Silver had a V iyella robe on their outlet section, sized M. Half-off or so.

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

10. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior member

I could well be mistaken, but I've always been of the impression that Viyella is not a brand in the sense of a manufacturer but rather a trade name for a wool-cotton blend. I'm quite sure I've seen it coexisting with a variety of makers' or designers' labels. Does this square with anyone else's recollection?

11. VMan

VMan Senior member

Here is a photo of the label: [​IMG]

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I think it began as a maker of the wool-cotton fabric itself, and has been (is?) used by other maker's of clothing. I believe that along the lines of Zegna they now produce their own clothing line (or have it done under their name). That's my supposition but I may be wrong about that.

13. The Dandy

The Dandy Active Member

I can't say I've had any experience with the shirts, but I have one of the company's robes, from Ben Silver. It's quite warm while also being light and breathable. However, the caveat is that it's really rather itchy.

14. ROI

ROI Well-Known Member

15. VMan

VMan Senior member

Thanks for all the info, guys. The shirt I have is of the 55% wool 45% cotton variety.