• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone heard of Lloyd & Haig Custom Shoes

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing to do with each other

MITCH3734

Reaction score
I am Edward Meyer's son. My father died when I was very young, so I had little time with him, but I'll provide what little recollection I have of him and his company.
As I recall, there were four stores. Three of the stores were in New York, the Woolworth building, Madison and (I believe 42nd), and on Lexington Avenue behind the Waldoff Astoria. The fourth store was in Philadelphia, but I can't recall exactly where.
The main office of the company was on 45th street where my father and Sherman Tarlow had their offices. Tarlow was "the money man" and spent his time mainly in the office while my father designed and oversaw the manufacturing of the shoes, and as an aside he also enjoyed personally doing the store window displays, so he spent his time mainly at the various stores pitching in as a salesman when things got busy.
After my father's death, I spent one summer working at the company, first as a stock clerk at the Madison avenue store, the main shoe inventory warehouse being in the basement of this store, and other branches would replenish their stock from this location, then working at the Lexington avenue store "staining" shoes. Yes, all the shoes were manufactured without a color. When a customer purchased his shoes, he selected the color. There was a location in the back of each store where the shoes were stained. It was a two day process, very messy, but upon completion, the customer was informed that his shoes were ready, and he had the option of picking them up at the store, having them delivered if they lived in New York, or having them shipped. I was also one of the people who delivered the shoes to some pretty famous people who happened to live in New York. After that summer I showed no interest in coming into the business, so my mother negotiated the sale of her shares to Tarlow.
I'm not sure what my father would make of the current interest in his shoes. Interestingly, even when my father was alive, I never owned a pair of L&H shoes, my shoes coming from a shoe store at the local mall.
Well, enjoy your shoes; at least my father's legacy still lives on sixty years after his passing.

Fima Ruchman

Reaction score
Yes, I sued Lloyd & Haig shoes since the early 1960, they are one of the finest shoes made worldwide. Actually did not know the the company still existed. Now that I know they still manufacturing them I will make a point to buy a few pairs next time I am in New York.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads