• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have the Wassily chair?

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying these chairs, and I am trying to figure out if they are legit. They look good from the pictures, but I have never looked too closely at the Wassily to actually compare everything. If someone has one or knows a lot about them I would love to hear your take on whether they were authentic or not.

The woman said she didn't think they were authentic because they didn't follow all of the requirements for Knolls reproduction, but the Wassily was also produced by a couple of other companies at earlier years.

Let me know what you think!

DSC01921.JPG

DSC01922.JPG

DSC01923.JPG

DSC01924.JPG

DSC01925.JPG

DSC01926.JPG

DSC01928.JPG

DSC01930.JPG

DSC01931.JPG

DSC01932.JPG

DSC01933.JPG

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "legit"?

I would say the seller is probably correct: The patent on that design is now expired and the design has been produced by quite a few companies.

I would doubt that it's pre-Knoll (Gavina).

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably a repro (i.e., not licensed), but it looks decently made.

tphd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
I really could have done without the last photo.

Was that hue of nail polish not SF approved?

summej2

Reaction score
That looks to be well made, but it's finished differently from the pair I have sitting across from me in my office. Mine are old Stendig imports made by Gavina (the company that was later purchased by Knoll).

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a straightjacket had sex with a jungle gym.

Also, buy your sweetheart some new nail polish.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are recent re-productions but well made. As to why you want chair equivalent of the mona lisa is beyond me.

Toro

Reaction score
looks like a repro. the newer knoll wassily has a knoll studio stamp on bottom.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking it might be older than the Knoll recreations. But I am glad I heard that they aren't the same as Gavina since that's who they would be. The pair is going for $250, should I still pass?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$250 is actually a pretty good price. These chairs are like Toyotas when it comes to resell, so you can easily flip them if you get bored.

Originally Posted by BrianVarick
I was thinking it might be older than the Knoll recreations. But I am glad I heard that they aren't the same as Gavina since that's who they would be. The pair is going for $250, should I still pass?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These look well made and have heavy leather. I was a big fan of these in the 70's. There were lots of high quality makers at that time. Just look at them for what they are and if they are well made you will enjoy them. They are classics!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads