• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have the basic Kindle?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The $79 one. It looks good. Thought about getting the Touch but there seem to be a lot of neg reviews out there. Thoughts?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The $79 one. It looks good. Thought about getting the Touch but there seem to be a lot of neg reviews out there. Thoughts?

I have one that was given to my daughter and that she doesn't use. I also have an ipad. Comparing the two, the e-ink of the basic kindle makes it a FAR, FAR SUPERIOR device for reading books. It is a pleasure to use and I much prefer it to a back-lit LCD type screen
If you want something to read books electronically, the basic kindle seems the way to go.

Last edited:

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spend the extra $20 and get the touch. The little button on the $79 is really annoying, especially when trying to sort or search.

I've used both, but I own the Touch and prefer it to the regular Kindle.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Touch is the way to go. Keyboard on an e-ink reader is a stupid waste of space.

I say this having used 0 Amazon readers, but I love my Nook Touch more than anything.

Nook Touch = hardware-wise best e-ink reader there is. The drawback? It is B&N. Not a big deal (or even preferable) if you sideload all your books like me. If you buy off Amazon, you're stuck with a Kindle so just get the Touch.

I prefer the basic Nook myself. Easier to handle, better basic functionality, and buttons. Plus, the rubberized back makes it easier to hold.

I hope you mean the newer Nook Touch, rather than the Nook Classic. NC is garbage. Heavy, slow page turning, and its screen doesn't hold a candle to the current crop of e-ink readers.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, I meant the newer Nook Touch. Apologies for not clarifying. Just got it and haven't even read a book on the ******* thing. But playing around with it I like it better than the Kindle.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would much rather be tied to Amazon's ecosystem then B&N. Get a Kindle.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the basic kindle. I just use it for reading books, a task at which it excels.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I will say that I don't mind reading on color LCD screens like the iPad and Kindle Fire. They use IPS panels and if you crank down the brightness won't really cause eyestrain. With the iPad3 coming out soon with a Retina Display, it should be even better on the eyes.

EDIT: I need to dig it up, but a study was done on this and found out that as long as you have a decent screen (like IPS) it's a bit of a myth that they are bad on your eyes. In some cases they actually cause less strain then e-ink does, like in low light.

Last edited:

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have one that was given to my daughter and that she doesn't use. I also have an ipad. Comparing the two, the e-ink of the basic kindle makes it a FAR, FAR SUPERIOR device for reading books. It is a pleasure to use and I much prefer it to a back-lit LCD type screen
If you want something to read books electronically, the basic kindle seems the way to go.

I have the basic kindle. I just use it for reading books, a task at which it excels.

Same here.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I would much rather be tied to Amazon's ecosystem then B&N. Get a Kindle.

Ah, but the Nook can be side loaded with anything in epub or pdf format

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's easy to download Calibre (free) and convert epub of pdf files into mobi.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1

Warning on the Nook Touch though, even though it comes with 2 gigs of space, only like 200 something megs are allowed for side-loading books. The rest of the space is reserved for BN purchases only.

Not a big deal if you have an old micro-SD card laying around, but something to keep in mind.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's easy to download Calibre (free) and convert epub of pdf files into mobi.

What I do.

I got my kindle 3 basic as a gift, so I won't complain. I also bought two more to give as gifts, again, the owners are happy. Honestly, it's hard to go wrong with any of the e-ink readers between Kindle and Nook. I think the kindle does have a little more after market accessory support than the nook.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics