• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have the basic Kindle?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to pick up the Kindle Touch.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's easy to download Calibre (free) and convert epub of pdf files into mobi.

Not PDF. Try it, it really sucks.

Unfortunately if you want to read PDFs, there is no good option other than a full size 10" tablet like iPad, or the horribly overpriced Kindle DX

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not PDF. Try it, it really sucks.
Unfortunately if you want to read PDFs, there is no good option other than a full size 10" tablet like iPad, or the horribly overpriced Kindle DX

I've done a few PDFs. They weren't perfect, but they were readable.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've done a few PDFs. They weren't perfect, but they were readable.

You can't change text size on a PDF as you would an epub or mobi, so you're stuck with zooming in and out, which is very cumbersome on an e-ink reader.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can't change text size on a PDF as you would an epub or mobi, so you're stuck with zooming in and out, which is very cumbersome on an e-ink reader.

Was never an issue for the ones I read because everything was readable at it's normal zoom %.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Was never an issue for the ones I read because everything was readable at it's normal zoom %.

Sweet, ya lucked out. I want a mobile device/ereader that will allow me to read 1) Federal court filings, and 2) PDFs of all the old D&D and other RPG games I've scanned from my collection over the years. Look like total crap on the small Nook screen, and zooming is very slow and frustrating. Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait for the price of iPads to come down.

Anyway...Conne, you really should cancel your order and get the Touch.

Last edited:

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sweet, ya lucked out. I want a mobile device/ereader that will allow me to read 1) Federal court filings, and 2) PDFs of all the old D&D and other RPG games I've scanned from my collection over the years. Look like total crap on the small Nook screen, and zooming is very slow and frustrating. Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait for the price of iPads to come down.
Anyway...Conne, you really should cancel your order and get the Touch.

Oh, yeah, for that I could see how it would be a pain **********. The only PDFs I've read on my Kindle were scanned books.

+1 on the bit about the Touch.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm reading a lot of stories about screen issues with the Touch. That, along with the lag and less-than-stellar touch interface, makes me want to wait 'til the next gen of Touch.

Last edited:

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm reading a lot of stories about screen issues with the Touch. That, along with the lag and less-than-stellar touch interface, makes me want to wait 'til the next gen of Touch.

Obviously I've used just the one Touch (the one I own), but I haven't had any problems. "Lag" is only an issue if you fill it full of books, and this happens with all Kindles. It's certainly not type-of-the-line touchscreen tech, but I like it better than the regular K4.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
God damnit. I've thought about it again and now I want the Touch. I think I'll exchange.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Seriously dude, try out the Nook. Its better.

+1, Nook Touch is a far superior device, but, again, you can't buy off Amazon.

Unless you root it and run some sort of Kindle app on it, which I'm sure you can do but still...what a PITA.

If you buy or plan to buy ebooks off Amazon you are just stuck with the Kindle pretty much, unless you want to jump through hoops.

If you think you'll be sideloading most of your books, then DEFINITELY get the Nook!

Theoretically speaking, one could go to one of those torrent sites, grab a torrent with 10 thousand plus books in it that you can sideload, which would make the Nook purchase worth it right there.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads