• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone Have Minnis 0520

emptym

Reaction score

Complexions with more reddish skin tones look better in lighter, brighter navy shades, IMO.

Thanks D. What's your opinion on it for someone like me, w/ a more olive complexion? I think a flat blue would look bad, but a lighter navy w/ some dark flecks is good, imo. This seemed to be like that.

I've tried using it as a sportcoat and have switched back to using the traditional navy blazer. IMO dark navy is much easier to use as an odd jacket. I think dark navy more versatile for Blazersuit purposes. I prefer the lighter than navy blue suit for festive events, particularly at night, where dark navy might appear too formal or severe.

I agree w/ you. If I could only have one, it'd be the darker navy. But the light would be good for bright, warm weather and times when one doesn't want to look very severe. For about 16 years I've enjoyed a lighter navy suit, similar to the 0520. It was great for evening weddings and other such occasions. It was pre-SF and I don't love the style though. And I have a lighter navy linen suit that I wear the coat as a blazer a fair amt. Both were custom, but neither fits very well or well made. I think I'll get a lot of use out of this one from Chan, and my brothers will be very happy to get the other suits.

No one has any thoughts on two vs. four buttons for the sleeves?

Last edited:

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Why would you have two buttons? I'd go for 4 buttons, as usual. If you get it as a sport coat, make sure that Chan does swelled edging to make sure that it gives the jacket a more casual feel. I specified this to my tailor but he did not do it, it is little hard to make it work as a sport coat though. Are you doing 2 patch or 3 patch?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My coat has two patch pockets, dark brown buttons, and no swelled edges. I have never felt weird wearing it either as a blazer or with the matching pants as part of a suit. I think the cloth, pockets, and buttons make it look just fine as a blazer.

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks zbromer. I remember seeing pics of your suit. It's very nice.

^^Why would you have two buttons? I'd go for 4 buttons, as usual. If you get it as a sport coat, make sure that Chan does swelled edging to make sure that it gives the jacket a more casual feel. I specified this to my tailor but he did not do it, it is little hard to make it work as a sport coat though. Are you doing 2 patch or 3 patch?

I think 2 might be nice on a dedicated sport coat. I ordered it w/ swelled edges, double-stitched and three patch. These details and a few others are in one of my posts above.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Think it was Brooks Bros that used two buttons and spaced them about 3/4" apart. You could experiment by not cutting sleeve buttonholes and wearing it a few times

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Close-up of the fabric. I know Manton dislikes the fold of the square.
3.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads