• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone have friends/relatives they hadn't seen in a long time turn in to douchebags?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was at a wedding this weekend for a relative and so I saw family that I hadn't seen in years. In particular, I used to be really close with one of my cousins. We used to do everything together as children, and I was looking forward to seeing him again because it had been 13 years since I last saw him. It struck me after about 2 minutes of talking to him that he was a douchebag. He has transformed into a brand-worshipping, status seeking, tool. I was very disappointed.

He has a sales job where he interacts with some wealthy people and he just couldn't stop saying how he hangs out with hundred-millionaires now that he's gotten a little taste of money (he earned about 100k last year). In 30 minutes of conversation he probably said it about 20 times. Then he started asking about my clothes and tailor in an attempt to prove his baller status. It was a little sickening, actually, and I couldn't wait to get away from him.

His brother actually performed the reverse transformation. He was a bit of a douche as a teen. He'd steal from poor relatives, grandparents, etc., but now he's grown-up and actually considers how his actions impact other people.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Sounds like dejavu for me...my cousin Brian and I were very close as children, and even in our teens. I havent seen him for about 10 years. I saw him the other night at a holiday party. He is a pencil pusher for a big financial institution (that hasn't toppled over....yet). He is recently married to a total ******* dog..which made me feel even better by showing off my dime piece dame. I own my own company which develops/builds real estate. Brian believes that because the builder industry is off throughout the country that I can't possibly be busy. I haven't seen him since I started the company, but all I heard about was how much money he was making and blah, blah, blah. I asked why he didn't show up with anything for the host if he was doing so well...this promptly shut him up. Total D - Bag. I just played along and acted like he was the man...in 6 months he'll be calling me for a job. 'Tis the season for j-offs.

montyharding

Reaction score
Well, if you think about it you have to become a douchebag so it makes sense. What you witnessed is clearly a douchebag pupa. Whether he can actually approach true douchebaggery is something else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads