Anyone have experience with NYC MTM outfit SARTORIA AMBROSIANA?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by allman brotha, Sep 20, 2011.

1. allman brotha

allman brotha Member

Hi Everyone

Another one of those MTM outfits has surfaced here in NYC calling itself Sartoria Ambrosiana. They say their from Naples, but are making clothes now in NYC with imported Neapolitan tailors? Or something like that.

A casual work acquaintance showed me some shirts they made him (in a shopping bag, recently picked up and at his office) and they did look pretty sweet...and now I hear they are making clothing as well as shirts.

If anyone can shed some light, I'd be appreciative. I used to go to Astor & Black. Not bad. Also worked with another guy on MTM on Upper East Side a while back, but he's out of biz. I know there are a lot of these MTM/"custom" places around the country and NYC sure has it fair share. Bottom Line for Me: I'm not finding in stores what i want and am curious about Sartoria Ambrosiana, so if anyone can fill in blanks, I owe you a pocket square, cocktail or big thank you.

Thank you!

2. bellacamicie

bellacamicie New Member

i have recently made some shirts with sartoria ambrosiana , glad to say they came out magnificent fabrics were great and the collar style was something i had been looking for a while and they perfected it i washed them a few times and they are as nice as the day they were delivered, as far as i have researched they do have neapolitan roots and are employing about 12 people including a few true neapolitan tailors and italian seamstreses sewing the shirts . highly recommend and very affordable not as pricy as finamore but as nice and fit perfect!

3. shirtdoctor

shirtdoctor New Member

Another happy client here with Sartoria Ambrosiana shirts, I visited them at there manhattan showroom a month back after a friend told me about them.. they exhibit a big selection of beautiful fabrics and collar styles , I made 6 shirts to start and glad to say they came out perfect in every way... fit was ideal and collar height was great and stands up under a sports jacket just the way i wanted it to, I recommend you see Max who is the owner he has a great sense of Neapolitan style and has a talent of knowing exactly what you want and is very good at guiding you to what will look good on you , he also mentioned to me they are doing suits as well ( saw a few samples and they look really elegant full canvass and hand sewn shoulder looked like a kiton jacket for a value price!) highly recommend to fellow sartorialists! .....i'm actually glad to recommend them since there shirts are amazing and at a value price and actually look better than the luigi borrelli shirts i was buying for the last 4 years.

4. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

at least make it less obvious that this is not an advertising three posts with a combined post count of 4. Nice

5. andreyb2

andreyb2 Senior member

"SARTORIA AMBROSIANA"?! :D

A knock-off from Sartoria Ambrosi?

:slayer:

Andrey

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

6. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

what a vague website
    http://www.sartoriaambrosiana.com/index.php

a few garments on a manaquin or folded.

no idea of pricing
    a workroom at 50 west 34th st. I wonder if I can stop by and see my clothing being made there?
    setting up a workroom for 14 artisans[/I is not an inexpensive proposition. and did they import these 14 workers
    or did they just pick up some tailors in the area. and were they trained in the neoplitan tradion which is very different then the training of other methods of tailoring.
    and they are offering carrer oportunities as well.

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

:spam:

8. sk0213

sk0213 New Member

They are on living social again • $892 ($1,785 value) for a custom suit and two custom-tailored Italian-style dress shirts sounds too good to be true....
    comments?
    I am tempted
    but dont want to be taken

9. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

Well, I'm convinced.

10. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

There was an article about them in the Robb Report

11. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

After my posts a few months back, it turns out I know about Sartoria Ambrosiana. A friend of mine made a nice navy chalkstripe flannel 2 piece and I just never put 2 and 2 together. Quality is top notch and fabrics are very nice (you get what you pay for). Overall a good value. Fit is nice too.

12. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Do you mind if I ask about the price?

13. comrade

comrade Senior member

The Bay Area could use a place like that.
    local selection is poor- a couple of deparment stores
    and the new Wilkes Bashford.