• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have experience with Kelly Shoe Polish?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly, Kelly Polish or Wax didn't come up in my searches. I'm sure the polishing/waxing discussions have been beaten to death with regards to "which one is better for my expensive shoes."

It's been said makers just re-brand common brands as house brands. I would surmise the general consensus is that Kiwi is great since it is used by high-end makers such as Edward Green and Vass, despite how "common" it is from the fact you can buy it at a drug store rather than a high end shoe boutique. Saphir, Angelus, and Lincoln have been said to be just as good (if not better as some would argue).

Anyone have experience with Kelly brand? The assumption I would take is that it is just as good as the other brands I've mentioned, so I guess the real question is, does anyone have any negative experience with it, advise against it? Or perhaps some have experience to suggest I'm better off sticking with the other brands?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Never seen it.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
the difference in quality may be negligible between known brands like kiwi or saphir, etc. but the choices made i have seen here are more on a personal level like the scent of saphir being more gentle than kiwi's strong irritating scent.
i use kiwi almost exclusively not because of any quality differences but more so of lack of availability locally of the other polish brands.

i have never heard of kelly, but like some other shoe polish i have, a very strange name that i have never heard or have not seen talked about on this forum, i use it for red color and it works just as fine as kiwi.
i am pretty sure kelly would suffice for any quality shoe polish job. maybe you can be the first to try out and gauge the results and let us know, that's how most of these other brands get their rep .!

Ed13

Reaction score
I have a couple of tins of Kelly shoe polish (one black and one brown). I don't know where I got them but they seem fine to use. I usually use Kiwi but will buy other brands to get different shades of brown.

gj555

Reaction score
I live in Canada and have seen Kelly polish for sale at a few places. At my place of employment, all of the men's washrooms have an old shoe shine bench with some polishes, an application brush and a couple of buffing brushes in them. The washroom on the floor I am on and on the previous floor I was on has Kelly's polish. Since people don't use these benches very often, the Kelly polish has cracked and has hardened a little. I assume the same thing would happen to other brands.

PuppetBoy

Reaction score
I made a recent order from www.shoeshinekit.com and the dry cleaner and the brown and black edge dressing that came were Kelly's brand, but I haven't used them yet.

brokentelephone

Reaction score
Kelly's is the consumer line of Fiebings -- its on their website and all the products appear to be exactly the same as the Fiebings equivalent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads