• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have experience with C&J recrafts?

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
I have a pair of worn-in C&J Peals with channeled soles. I've been told that the channeled soles means they must get the "handgrade" recraft, which is not cheap (something like $200 or $250).

All the shoes need is new heels and new soles, maybe even a new welt. Can a decent cobbler do this (price would be $75)? I don't know how good the C&J recraft service is, how good the turnaround time is...would love to hear your thoughts.

andyw

Reaction score
I'm very satisfied with the C&J recrafts on two pairs of handgrade shoes. Each took about 2 months after leaving them off at the TA location in NYC. Both were as new when returned and I am very picky regarding the shape of the toebox and the proportions of the welting. I recall the resoling was more expensive than a local cobbler and more than the charge from Alden and AE.

That takes nothing away from the experiences of many on this forum who swear by the great work of their cobblers. But I'm a creature of habit when it comes to shoes, only buying shoes from makers that offer resoling back on the lasts they came to life on.

flatfront

Reaction score
I can only second what has been said the C&J "handgrade" re-craft is worth every penny IMHO. The shoes do indeed come back like new and are impeccable. All that time resting on the original factory last helps too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads