1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have experience with actuarial exams?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by J Darnielle, Sep 19, 2011.

1. J Darnielle

J Darnielle Senior member

Almost finished with Finance UG, considering taking the 1st actuarial exam. How much of an asset is having the first 1-2 on my resume when applying at insurance firms?

Thanks!

JD

2. sylvyrravyn

sylvyrravyn Member

Passing those first two exams while in undergrad would be great. If possible you want to pass at least one before starting your junior year since most firms will be searching for interns that have at least one year of school left.

But if you really want to stand out above all your other peers, passing three exams makes you almost golden. Even if you don't have an internship but you have those three exams, it will make firms so much more interested in you.

All that I've said so far I'm passing down to you from what my program director told several of my classes.

Most firms will post in the job listings that they require at least one exam passed. I can tell you from personal experience that I had 0 exams passed after I graduated from the actuarial science program from UIUC that I got exactly 0 call backs from insurance companies. My gpa wasn't helping me either.

I've since decided to go for an applied stats masters and already in my first quarter I had companies calling me back for phone interviews for graduate internship programs. FYI don't bother with a strict actuarial science masters the material those classes cover is stuff you should be learning on your own. That's why I went applied stats. More emphasis on using programs and real world applications and data projects.

3. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

How many exams are there these days? I dabbled in the exams about ten years ago. It didn't take me long to figure out that I was in the wrong line of work.

I would strongly recommend not going into pension consulting (at least while you're getting your credentials). You don't get paid that much more and you'll work twice as hard.