• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have experience buying from The Rake?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never ordered from them nor would I. They do not evidently think
that it is worth the trouble to post detailed measurements
for their clothing. Something that Sartoriale, or Shop the Finest
does routinely.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Their response to sending out the wrong item (of less than half the value of what I'd ordered) was to offer a 10% discount on "my next order", rather than offering a refund. They are saying that because they didn't receive a package from DHL it is their "policy" not to refund, despite me giving them a collection code. It's my policy not to pay for goods I never receive, so I've taken it up with VISA.....I will stick to Mr. Porter or Matches in the future.
What do you mean? Did they receive the item back from you?

MPS

Reaction score
What do you mean? Did they receive the item back from you?
I ordered a leather folio and a manicure set as presents prior to Christmas. The package arrive in time, but they had sent me a pair of woven leather shoes. These have been returned via DHL but they refuse to refund me. This is because DHL didn’t use the tracking number Rake provided and they are claiming they didn’t receive the shoes (despite me sending confirmation of the DHL collection code to the Rake). So, in summary, I am down £350 for their error and they are refusing to do anything about it. I now have to raise a payment dispute with my credit card company. Do not order from them.

Sorry, story was in my last post above.

Their customer service is definitely worse than Mr. Porter or Matches, let alone Kirby Alison’s Hanger Project (which is second to none).

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the delivery speed to the US? I placed an order last night, curious if it'll arrive before I leave for vacation on 3/30

Edit: should arrive by 3/25 so quick shipping if that’s the case

Last edited:

Nbarbar

Reaction score
I ended up messaging them on IG and had a reply within the day and the issue resolved within two.

I think they are drop shipping and FBA or 3PL’ing the rest so the gap between editorial and marketing and the fulfilment team is significant.

Nonetheless they fixed my issue and I would happily purchase again. I think their collection is unique and far beyond Mr P etc

mrbig

Reaction score
Bought two pairs of Rubinacci trousers from them a couple months back.

Didn't have much of an idea of how they worked, assumed they had some sort of stock on hand. They did, and my parcel shipped within 4 days. Lo and behold, only one pair of trousers arrived. Called to ask - took multiple tries to get anyone to answer the phone in the UK - and turns out one pair had to be shipped from Rubinacci, to the Rake, then reshipped to me.

I wait. this pair arrives, and the colour is drastically different from the online picture.

Wasted time: 2 weeks. Wasted effort: many. Good thing they have free returns. Will only buy through them at a steep discount or if it's an exclusive instakop.

Maybe it's because I've been spoiled by rl.com and mrporter.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought two pairs of Rubinacci trousers from them a couple months back.

Didn't have much of an idea of how they worked, assumed they had some sort of stock on hand. They did, and my parcel shipped within 4 days. Lo and behold, only one pair of trousers arrived. Called to ask - took multiple tries to get anyone to answer the phone in the UK - and turns out one pair had to be shipped from Rubinacci, to the Rake, then reshipped to me.

I wait. this pair arrives, and the colour is drastically different from the online picture.

Wasted time: 2 weeks. Wasted effort: many. Good thing they have free returns. Will only buy through them at a steep discount or if it's an exclusive instakop.

Maybe it's because I've been spoiled by rl.com and mrporter.

Only had one mishap through them (barely a mishap). Aftershave balm was stuck at Heathrow for 2 weeks. They just resent it.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Just flagging some deep sales on the site at the moment

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a tie and shirt last week. Delivery was very prompt and only 10 dollars or euros (can't recall currency).

mspen99

Reaction score
BEWARE of the Rake. Shipping schedule is erratic and unpredictable. If you happen to need to go away for 2 weeks on business (as I did), and your package arrives while you are away, Rake will nevertheless strictly enforce its 14-day-return policy. The Belsire shoes I received are sized inconsistent with normal standards (by a half-size) - Rake website says they have my correct size in stock - BUT they ("Dienan") refuse to exchange for correct size even though I offered to pay return shipping.

What kind of consumer-service company operates that way? Even though I like their brands, I think they are sleazy and will avoid them in the future.

986LS

Reaction score
Ordered for the first time recently and will never make another purchase with them again.

Purchased a tie and was sent the incorrect colour which was also listed about $20 cheaper than the item I actually ordered. (Was also charged about $50 in duties (Thanks DHL) calculated based on the incorrect (higher) price, not exactly their fault but duties would've been marginally cheaper if the Rake charged me the correct price.) No sweat there, an oversight on my part for not knowing DHL would be used.

The real issue was the following: I e-mailed customer service asking if I could obtain a simple refund on my credit card for the difference in price of the item since I was charged incorrectly. I was willing to keep the incorrect item to save them the hassle of returning it and having them re-send the correct item (which I would probably also be charged additional duties on).

But no can do, had to wait several days for a response despite following-up multiple times and the rep was quite adamant that they are not able to proceed with my suggestion after several e-mails back and forth without answering my questions.

Hard to understand why a simple refund would not be permitted but they'd rather go through the hassle of processing a return.

Worst customer service experience I've had and hope others won't have to go through it.

sldsd

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I gave up the idea of ordering a tie online from them. It's a shame that they have a very good selcetion of goods.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've ordered three times recently with zero problems. I've not had to avail myself of a return so no comment on how well that process works.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had multiple order and only one problem.

Ordered two pairs of shoes and a tie. They combined into one package and just threw the tie into the box where it got crushed by the shoe boxes. Now has a crease (it's a grenadine). Irritating.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the damage:

Any recommendations on how I can fix the front crease? It's that big ripple in the middle.

Here's the back crease (don't think it's fully fixable):

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads