• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have experience buying from The Rake?

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Following up on terrible customer service. A recent order was split shipped, which is fine of course, but an item from the first batch needed to be returned, along with an item from the second. Multiple emails were ignored by the customer service team.

Compared to Mr P, who of course they are competing with, its been a frustrating process esp. when it offers them a chance to win life long customers with excellent customer service.

Despite the great collection of pieces I'll struggle to order again.

Ps I'll also let them know about this thread.

mercury

Reaction score
Shame about that. My experience with them has been pretty good.

I had some sizing questions which were answered in about 24 hours via email.

Ended up buying a pair of shoes a month or two ago, which took them about a week to actually ship out, but delivery was fast once posted.

I needed to exchange the shoes for a smaller size, which was done quickly and easily. Free international shipping and returns to Australia is a big plus for me. The courier picked up the exchange from my office.

Planning to get some Albert Thurston braces from them next. Hopefully they iron out the issues mentioned, for a more consistent experience.

Francisco

Reaction score
I used to have good experience with them for the last few purchases till recently. Again the packages is just a simple packing without proper box. My second unhappy experience when they did not ship out my item for more than 1 month and no response to my 3 emails until I have to vent my experience in their Instagram and then they reply. The best part is they don’t have the item I have purchased anymore and have to refund me! Very bad customer service..

steveabdn

Reaction score
I've had mixed experiences with them.

I ordered a 100 hands shirt which arrived no problem.

I ordered another shirt brand and it took ages to arrive with very little communication. I don't think their website reflects their actual stock as they blamed the delay on the shirt manufacturer.

I'd have been fine with the delay but the communication around the issue was terrible.

Also, similar experiences when trying to return an item, courier seemed very difficult to arrange but once received a refund was quickly issued

NnamAries

Reaction score
I think they are having customer service/delivery issues. They have always been a good online store to buy things from and their shoes are very good (the one i bought tho). So i guess they just need to fix their issues and step up.

Jubair Ahmed

Reaction score
I ordered 3 scarves from them in the winter sale for a total of £260 pounds over a week ago and today when my order arrived in a tiny box it contained a £29 bottle of skin serum instead. I really wanted the scarves but apparently there was a mix up and they must have sent the scarves to the wrong person (probably with little hope of getting them back). I received a full refund pretty quickly so they are honest but sadly not very competent. It's a shame as they stock a lot of great stuff.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered 3 scarves from them in the winter sale for a total of £260 pounds over a week ago and today when my order arrived in a tiny box it contained a £29 bottle of skin serum instead. I really wanted the scarves but apparently there was a mix up and they must have sent the scarves to the wrong person (probably with little hope of getting them back). I received a full refund pretty quickly so they are honest but sadly not very competent. It's a shame as they stock a lot of great stuff.

I'm being serious: they lost my aftershave lotion. Did you get it?

They did send me a replacement btw.

Ordering from them is great. Very simple.

Jubair Ahmed

Reaction score
I'm being serious: they lost my aftershave lotion. Did you get it?

They did send me a replacement btw.

Ordering from them is great. Very simple.
Was it a number 47 silver chitosan skin serum? They sent DHL to pick it up earlier this afternoon as I certainly had no use for it. They must have an extremely amateurish set up when it comes to packing and delivery to make such a mistake. Really annoyed as the scarves I ordered were the last ones in stock so no chance of getting any replacements.

Jubair Ahmed

Reaction score
I should add that I have ordered a few things from them before and did end up receiving the items in a reasonable period of time or as indicated at the time of ordering. However they never answer the customer helpline so not sure why they bother having one. They are quite slow to respond to emails unless it's a major cock up like today. The packaging is also not great. They've offered me 10% discount on my next order as an apology which is pretty poor compensation considering the time wasted and that I can't order the scarves again as they are out of stock.

Last edited:

MPS

Reaction score
I ordered a leather folio and a manicure set as presents prior to Christmas. The package arrive in time, but they had sent me a pair of woven leather shoes. These have been returned via DHL but they refuse to refund me. This is because DHL didn’t use the tracking number Rake provided and they are claiming they didn’t receive the shoes (despite me sending confirmation of the DHL collection code to the Rake). So, in summary, I am down £350 for their error and they are refusing to do anything about it. I now have to raise a payment dispute with my credit card company. Do not order from them.

Knurt

Reaction score
I ordered a leather folio and a manicure set as presents prior to Christmas. The package arrive in time, but they had sent me a pair of woven leather shoes. These have been returned via DHL but they refuse to refund me. This is because DHL didn’t use the tracking number Rake provided and they are claiming they didn’t receive the shoes (despite me sending confirmation of the DHL collection code to the Rake). So, in summary, I am down £350 for their error and they are refusing to do anything about it. I now have to raise a payment dispute with my credit card company. Do not order from them.

A magazine like the Rake should be the consumers’ friend. This just show the problems going into retail brings for such a magazine. In addition to the constant conflict of interest selling clothes from manufacturers that the take an editorial stance on.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was it a number 47 silver chitosan skin serum? They sent DHL to pick it up earlier this afternoon as I certainly had no use for it. They must have an extremely amateurish set up when it comes to packing and delivery to make such a mistake. Really annoyed as the scarves I ordered were the last ones in stock so no chance of getting any replacements.

No, mine was something different. Did they offer you a discount code as a consolation?

That code would be useful during their sales, which are pretty good.

Jubair Ahmed

Reaction score
No, mine was something different. Did they offer you a discount code as a consolation?

That code would be useful during their sales, which are pretty good.

The sales were over and the scarves I ordered were the last ones so the discount code is pretty much useless to me. I emailed them again to see if the scarves were returned and they weren't. Some lucky sod has got £260 of scarves for £29 and I'm well jealous.

MPS

Reaction score
A magazine like the Rake should be the consumers’ friend. This just show the problems going into retail brings for such a magazine. In addition to the constant conflict of interest selling clothes from manufacturers that the take an editorial stance on.

Their response to sending out the wrong item (of less than half the value of what I'd ordered) was to offer a 10% discount on "my next order", rather than offering a refund. They are saying that because they didn't receive a package from DHL it is their "policy" not to refund, despite me giving them a collection code. It's my policy not to pay for goods I never receive, so I've taken it up with VISA.....I will stick to Mr. Porter or Matches in the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics