• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Anyone have experience buying from The Rake?

sicigpat

Reaction score
Hi all
I purchased a pair of C&J Brecon chukka boots a few weeks back . I live in New York. The boots arrived in two day. They were a bit too large . I contacted customer service and they emailed a return label almost immediately. I had the smaller size boot less than a week later. All in all , I’m very satisfied. I just placed another order with them . I’ll let you folks know how it goes. Hope this helps. Patrick

Last edited:

brianwong

Reaction score
Very disappointed by the service at The Rake. Ordered a pair of trousers and socks and paid 30 shipping to get sent to Australia.

However, when the package arrived, they had sent the wrong pair of trousers and refused to refund part of the shipping when I requested a refund for the pants (they offered a full refund on the trousers but wouldn't offer a partial refund on the shipping). All they offered was a 10% off voucher.

It would be totally fine for me to be out on the shipping if I had ordered the incorrect item or ordered an incorrect size, but I shouldn't have to pay the price when their own warehouse staff are too incompetent to ship out the correct item, as I wouldn't have had to return the trousers had they sent me the correct pair.

At least DHL made the shipping and return happen in a timely fashion.

The moral of the story is that you are buying anything, buy enough so that you get free shipping otherwise you will get shafted if you have to return anything, even if it was the fault of The Rake.

Last edited:

blacksamurai30

Reaction score
Yeah just came to my attention that when you buy from The Rake and ship to the US, that you pay 28% duty on whatever you buy. I bought two pairs of Manny Pants and I’ve got a $250 import fee to stare down. Just an FYI for anyone purchasing.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much were the pants? If they are under 800 total, they should be exempt.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah just came to my attention that when you buy from The Rake and ship to the US, that you pay 28% duty on whatever you buy. I bought two pairs of Manny Pants and I’ve got a $250 import fee to stare down. Just an FYI for anyone purchasing.
I imagine this is the newly brought in duty charge for UK wool clothing in the US? It also applies to Whisky I believe? Thankfully not leather goods!

haloitsme

Reaction score
I imagine this is the newly brought in duty charge for UK wool clothing in the US? It also applies to Whisky I believe? Thankfully not leather goods!
What duty’s? Can’t find them?
I thought under 800$ de minimus rules.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

noobanker

Reaction score
Just ordered something totaling about 730 USD from the rake.
It’s a cashmere-wool mix overcoat.
Will I have to cough up whopping 25% in tariffs?
Can the rake claim a lower value of the item or something?

bry2000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How were you assessed the duty? Were you contacted by the courier (DHL, UPS, etc.) to pay before delivery? Or did you receive a letter in the mail? @blacksamurai30

leapyourbar

Reaction score
I am not one to complain whatsoever, however I placed an order for a pair of crockett and jones penny loafers and a drake's grenadine tie. i immediately realized i was out of renovat, which was on sale for $11 canadian dollars (roughly $8 USD -- a steal) so I e-mailed five minutes later to ask if it was too late to add it to my order to avoid $35 shipping. they apparently couldn't accomodate -- lol.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Just for some clarity, pretty sure under 800 you will be fine.

I gor hit with duty on a March order from them thst was a pair of Tod's, a lapel pin, and a tie. Over 800.

I ordered some mannys on sale and a pocket square in July and didn't get hit with duty. Was under 800.

So don't think its a content question - rather a value one.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a moment, I thought we were going to talk about this rake:

BD5FA362-C293-4C8B-B7A5-F89C60BA0ECE.jpeg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion