• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have experience buying from The Rake?

heelguy

Reaction score
I purchased 3 items from The Rake's sale website on 7/4. Got a confirmation that day and my credit card was charged. Have not heard a word since then about shipping nor did they respond to my e-mail from about a week ago checking into status. Any similar experiences? Thanks.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have purchased a couple of things from The Rake previously, with no problems. However, I purchased an item about 2 weeks ago and I am now having an experience very similar to yours. Not a word on shipping and no delivery. I have not yet tried to contact them to inquire. But perhaps I should.

heelguy

Reaction score
I have purchased a couple of things from The Rake previously, with no problems. However, I purchased an item about 2 weeks ago and I am now having an experience very similar to yours. Not a word on shipping and no delivery. I have not yet tried to contact them to inquire. But perhaps I should.

Thanks Andy. At least I am not alone. Hopefully they will come through.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered an item at the beginning of the summer sales period. It was overnighted the next day. My guess is that the team has a higher than expected volume to deal with, and you're unfortunately one of the ones affected by that. Also, if my office is anything to go by, a bunch of folks might be traveling.

Recommend sending them another note. What email did you use?

heelguy

Reaction score
Thanks @usctrojans31. I used whatever email was in the confirm (not at home now) which they said I should respond to. Will try again tonight hopefully with better results. Good luck come football season.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally emailed The Rake Atelier and I have received a response. There was no explanation offered for the delay in shipping, presumably because there is none except that someone fucked up. The product I purchased is no longer available in my size. I was offered an alternative, which was not an acceptable replacement. So I have requested a refund.

heelguy

Reaction score
I finally emailed The Rake Atelier and I have received a response. There was no explanation offered for the delay in shipping, presumably because there is none except that someone fucked up. The product I purchased is no longer available in my size. I was offered an alternative, which was not an acceptable replacement. So I have requested a refund.

Andy-Thanks. I received an interim email over the weekend from a Katherine Buitrago that they were looking into it (and have not heard anything since then). Would you mind sending email info that you used. Thanks.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andy-Thanks. I received an interim email over the weekend from a Katherine Buitrago that they were looking into it (and have not heard anything since then). Would you mind sending email info that you used. Thanks.
Katherine is the person who responded to me. I sent email to [email protected].

tbrock

Reaction score
I'd advise people not to order at the moment. They're having some serious issues with simple logistics and customer service. Ordered an Edward Sexton shirt that I needed to return a couple of weeks ago. Emails ignored. Finally got a response middle of last week that a courier would be coming. No confirmation email or text. They never came. I don't believe it was ever booked.

Even before all this debacle, the packaging on the c.$250 shirt was embarrassingly packaged in a tiny bit of paper and put in a soft bag. No inserts. Just astonishing. Orders at TM Lewin or Hawes and Curtis are packaged better, classier, sturdier and with more info inserts. Really left a sour taste. Not sure how this company is selling luxury brands.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Have to agree with some of the feedback here. I made a couple of orders recently. No email was sent to confirm dispatch, so I chased after a week to be told that a couple of the items were probably not available. Had to phone again to get this confirmed and get them to send the other items. Had to return these unfortunately, but the process to book a courier return was chaotic. First slot nobody came so agreed another. Then this one was cancelled for no reason after I had arranged to be at home. Finally picked up later in the week and refunded. A week later I got another email (sent to me at 2am) scheduling a courier pick-up for no reason... All very bizarre.

However, no reason to suspect shady practices. Items were sent and refunded in line with terms and conditions (eventually), so if there is something you really want and can put up with the hassle then no reason not to proceed I guess.

heelguy

Reaction score
Have to agree with some of the feedback here. I made a couple of orders recently. No email was sent to confirm dispatch, so I chased after a week to be told that a couple of the items were probably not available. Had to phone again to get this confirmed and get them to send the other items. Had to return these unfortunately, but the process to book a courier return was chaotic. First slot nobody came so agreed another. Then this one was cancelled for no reason after I had arranged to be at home. Finally picked up later in the week and refunded. A week later I got another email (sent to me at 2am) scheduling a courier pick-up for no reason... All very bizarre.

However, no reason to suspect shady practices. Items were sent and refunded in line with terms and conditions (eventually), so if there is something you really want and can put up with the hassle then no reason not to proceed I guess.

Follow-up: Finally received my package early last week. Everything was there as ordered. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it was summer and they were handling bigger than usual volume due to their sale.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Follow-up: Finally received my package early last week. Everything was there as ordered. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it was summer and they were handling bigger than usual volume due to their sale.
Glad you got your products. I also got my refund. In addition, I told the person who processed the refund for me that this thread existed on StyFo and that a number of people were reporting issues. They may not care, of course, but we may represent the tip of an iceberg.

tbrock

Reaction score
Have finally been refunded after no communication or responses. Still couldn't recommend. Have gone with Turnbull and Asser instead. £5 more, made in England, better service, higher quality. I hope The Rake looks into turn around times and processes and also looks at their competitors. That said, I won't use again now.

Solverson

Reaction score
Turnbull and Asser is great brand, I have a few ties and shirts from then, service and quality is pretty good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads