• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have any good nail clippers they would recommend?

Mathew J

Reaction score
So I have some cheapo ones that really don't work well and was looking for something nicer, didn't know if anyone had any suggestions.

Berticus

Reaction score
I've got a pair of Feather PaRaDa. When getting one, you need to size down one. They're sharp, and they're suppose to stay sharp for a very long time. They also have a built in nail catcher. They only come in curved edge.

Seki is a step up from Feather. Nail clippers have all sorts of features such as a nail catcher and a magnifying glass. Can either be straight or curve edged.

DOVO is suppose to have really good straight edged ones. Considering they're in Solingen, I don't think you'll have a problem with how sharp they are or how long they'll hold their sharpness. I have a [straight] razor and nose hair trimmer from them. Haven't needed to sharpen the nose hair trimmer --- not quite sure how I would. The [straight] razor only gets honed a few times a year.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Berticus
I've got a pair of Feather PaRaDa. When getting one, you need to size down one. They're sharp, and they're suppose to stay sharp for a very long time. They also have a built in nail catcher. They only come in curved edge.
I have one of these as well and am very pleased with it. Purchased from classicshaving.com Feather makes good stuff.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My problem with virtually any pair of nail trimmers is that the lever is free to rotate, which can turn into some nasty mishaps when you are trying to press it down but instead it slips to the side (especially with left hand usage). Are there any trimmers where the lever is held to where it won't rotate?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Awesome. Are all of the non-rotating ones called INOX?

No, I believe that's just another term for stainless steel.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Revlon brand works great for me (at drugstores). Good tweezers too.

Mathew J

Reaction score

Seki is a step up from Feather. Nail clippers have all sorts of features such as a nail catcher and a magnifying glass. Can either be straight or curve edged.

DOVO is suppose to have really good straight edged ones. Considering they're in Solingen, I don't think you'll have a problem with how sharp they are or how long they'll hold their sharpness. I have a [straight] razor and nose hair trimmer from them. Haven't needed to sharpen the nose hair trimmer --- not quite sure how I would. The [straight] razor only gets honed a few times a year.

Thanks, I was on the edge of getting the Parada's but their size and the nail catcher turned me off, heard from a few that it got in the way and obstructed vision when cutting.

So then I moved to Seki, also saw that Dovo rebrands the Seki as their own as well....they are like $30 through amazon for a pair...

But I really like german things and thus am drawn to the Dovo set with leather pouch, only problem is that for a pair of clippers it is like $50 which is a bit steep for me especially since they aren't solid stainless steel at that price but rather plated metal. Brookstone also rebrands a pair of Dovo clippers for $40 that seem nice.

I am a fan of Dovo/Merkur however I think it is interesting how they buy and rebrand other items (Seki clippers, Groom Mate Platinum's nose hair trimmer...who knows what else).

Berticus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
My problem with virtually any pair of nail trimmers is that the lever is free to rotate, which can turn into some nasty mishaps when you are trying to press it down but instead it slips to the side (especially with left hand usage). Are there any trimmers where the lever is held to where it won't rotate?

Never had that problem personally. Shouldn't all clippers be made to be ambidextrous? Because when you clip the fingernails on your right hand or toenails on your left feet you need to use your left hand.

Originally Posted by Mathew J
Thanks, I was on the edge of getting the Parada's but their size and the nail catcher turned me off, heard from a few that it got in the way and obstructed vision when cutting.
You look through the side? I always looked from the top... But yeah, their sizes do run a tad on the large size, which is why you size down one.

I am a fan of Dovo/Merkur however I think it is interesting how they buy and rebrand other items (Seki clippers, Groom Mate Platinum's nose hair trimmer...who knows what else).
For the nose trimmer, wasn't sure if DOVO was the one doing the rebranding.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Never had that problem personally. Shouldn't all clippers be made to be ambidextrous? Because when you clip the fingernails on your right hand or toenails on your left feet you need to use your left hand.

You look through the side? I always looked from the top... But yeah, their sizes do run a tad on the large size, which is why you size down one.

For the nose trimmer, wasn't sure if DOVO was the one doing the rebranding.

Hey Berticus,

Yeah, I am pretty certain that Dovo is the one that is buying the item from "Groom Mate" and then slapping their name on it, just like they are buying the Green Bell clippers and saying they are also Dovo, and how brookstone buys the Dovo clippers and calls them Brookstone...amazing but it happens.

Here is a quote from Amazon from another in the same boat:

By Charlie "the tuna" Barstow (Portland, Maine USA) - See all my reviews

I own a couple of Dovo products (straight razor and nail clippers) that are made by Dovo in Germany and was about to purchase one of their rotary nose hair trimmers known as the Dovo Klipette. After a little research I discovered that the Klipette is actually made in the USA and sold here as the Platinum XL. So, I was happy that this trimmer was available through Amazon.
This is a very well made stainless steel nose hair trimmer and does a fine job of easily trimming my nose hairs. The quality is so good that it will probably outlast me in terms of life expectancy! I especially like the feel of this trimmer, the compact size and the fact that it does not require batteries to operate.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah of course they should be ambidextrous, but things are more awkward with your non-dominant hand. Keeping the lever from rotating would not preclude them from being ambidextrous.

pingguo

Reaction score
So I have some cheapo ones that really don't work well and was looking for something nicer, didn't know if anyone had any suggestions.

The best ones in the market are made by German manufacturer ZWILLING J.A. HENCKELS.
You can find them in most countries.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads