Anyone have any experience with the J Crew "Refined Herringbone Blazer"?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by extempore, Nov 23, 2008.

1. extempore

extempore Well-Known Member

Need a beater grey herringbone sportscoat, and the J Crew fit is impeccable on me (have a 'Legacy 2B blazer'. Any comments on the quality of this blazer? I'm in Australia right now, so can't try this out in a store. [​IMG]

2. extempore

3. smoothie

smoothie Senior member

A beater blazer for 228?

4. tbgjames

tbgjames New Member

I got one and it fits me well (i'm slim). Had to make the sleeves about 1/4 inch shorter but that was it. It's a little darker than I would have liked but it's versatile - formal enough to wear with a pair of trousers but still looks great with jeans.

5. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

I have one and you could do a lot worse especially given the current sale price of $ 228.00. Nice fabric, nice fit, not unlike the legacy blazer. I think it is worth it.

6. highball

highball Senior member

For $122 more plus a few weeks lead time you could have Jason at Thick as Thieves make you a herringbone blazer to your specs that I imagine would last a lot long & and you would get more enjoyment out of. Fully canvassed, functional buttons, etc.

7. ennui

ennui Senior member

It says on the product web page that it is made of wool/nylon. In my limited experience, nylon mixes tend to pill more easily. Has anyone who owns this jacket found that to be the case (granted probably not that much "seat time" in the jackets yet)?

Also, does anyone who has a 38s know how long the jacket is?

TIA

8. extempore

FWIW, the 2B 'Legacy' blazer fits me perfectly - no alterations neccessary! Found it on eBay for $50 NWT. Also, the Legacy blazer is half-lined with the piping very well done, and is also, at the very least, half canvassed. I think I did very well for $50. Managed to get a mate in the CUSA to order in the sportscoat, will let you all know how it works out. Got an additional 20% off (the website had a code that expired Monday), and he stacked another 15% off with the student discount (he's ancient, but a doctoral student, LOL). So in the end, it came up to just ~$155. IME, wool/nylon isn't a 'pill-ey' material. Wool/silk blends are. Cheaper linens are. Cheap cashmere is. Not wool/nylon

9. smoothie

smoothie Senior member

Yeah, it will go on sale. As much as you think you need it right this moment, you can wait it out.