• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have any experience with Super 160's suiting?

sseedragon

Reaction score
Fabric come from England ... Do they wrinkle easy? How long do the suit last? If i have 8 suits of super 160's will they last me at-least 3 years?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sseedragon
Fabric come from England ... Do they wrinkle easy? How long do the suit last? If i have 8 suits of super 160's will they last me at-least 3 years?

I have some 180 and it wrinkles if just by looking at it!! I'll never go that high in thread count for a business suit.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found Style Forum through an article critical of wools with high Super numbers attached. It quoted Manton under his pseudonym and also introduced me to Michael Alden's London Lounge

Why do you desire a Super 160

The standards are inconsistent when going past Super 120 and the prices are all over the board

For a durable and professional cloth, I'm content with Super 90 cloth made in Huddersfield. Its about 11-12oz.

If I want something more softer, more luxurious and almost as durable as the Super 90, I've run into some Huddersfield made Super 120 cloth in a 10-11oz. weight. Naturally the Super 90 stuff will see more years of action...but the Super 120 stuff felt so nice.

I'm having suits made up of both cloths. At the cloth store I recently bought both the Super 90 and Super 120 fabrics, the merchant along with his 2 employees had bespoke trousers made out of the Super 90 Huddersfield cloth and all raved about the adequate strength of it.

He would have happily sold me the more expensive, yet inferior, label whore stuff, but he opted to win a client (note, the other cloth store 100 meters away lost me as a client cuz of this)

Don't be a label whore...find a respectable cloth merchant...not a salesman, and perhaps they will divulge their personal recommendations on which cloth to purchase.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Favorite suits in my closet are 90's quality.

Problem with high supers is inconsistency, as you pointed out. But I do not dismiss them. Some of the best 150'S and 160'S today are from Holland & Sherry. Cloudy Bay 150'S & Swan Hill 160'S. They tailor beautifully and look remarkable.

contaygious

Reaction score
I was under the impression that 150 was good quality for a suit and 100 was good for a tweed am I wrong? I don't own anything under that I believe.

Examples:
IMG_3913.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Majority of tweeds are under 100's quality. Sometimes 60's & 70's.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The higher the super number, the softer the fabric feels to touch. High supers wool can feel incredibly luxurious, just like cashmere. But, there are drawbacks: - less durable - less wrinkle-resistant - more expensive (sometimes horrendously so) - more prone to shine And some 'mixed' qualities: - more likely to be a lightweight fabric - and thus drapes/falls differently over one's frame (weight plays a major factor) IME, as long as you stick to 10 ounces and above and don't intend to use it as a 'beater' suit, Super 150s is just fine - I've not gone any higher than that though.
Originally Posted by Despos
Favorite suits in my closet are 90's quality. Problem with high supers is inconsistency, as you pointed out. But I do not dismiss them. Some of the best 150'S and 160'S today are from Holland & Sherry. Cloudy Bay 150'S & Swan Hill 160'S. They tailor beautifully and look remarkable.
Seems as though the current zeitgeist amongst SF iGentry is to intentionally go for low(er) Super numbers wool. Not sure if they realise that their lower Super wool is nothing like the lower Super wools of yore - after all, all the thinner fibres have been combed out!!

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
I was under the impression that 150 was good quality for a suit and 100 was good for a tweed am I wrong? I don't own anything under that I believe.

Examples:
IMG_3948.jpg

Got the same Zegna "Donnegal tweed", but I do not see as a real tweed (if I remember well, it has a certain content of cashmere). It was very funny, when I bought the cloth, it was put on the ladies section, not in mens cloth, and I had to argue for a certain time with the shop owner about how suitable is for men!
160 (I can see where you want to buy the cloth) is a little too much, I had very good results with 100 and 120's for lighter suits, they drape better and have more "fullness". On the other hand, as I understood, the high threads are better for industrial make (fused, etc) and they are, at a lesser quality in the fabric making process, a better result.

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
The problem with high super numbers is that they tend to be a bit light weight. They are often to expensive to make a heavier cloth. I think that is the main problem. As a result they don't fall as nice and wrinkle easier. It's fine for a summer suit, and the feel of a super 160 and up is amazing! But for every day office ware, I wouldn't recommend it. I also discovered that there seem to be a big leap in cost between a S 150 and a S 160, then prices just sky rocket for decent qualities.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Supers are high priced but the price increase to produce heavy weight cloth from high supers is significant.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Supers are high priced but the price increase to produce heavy weight cloth from high supers is significant.
+1: it's slightly uncommon to see even 9.5oz Super 150s and above - they mostly seem to hover about the 9oz range. Despos, I have a bit of an odd question: could you comment on fabrics woven in West Yorkshire? Is the provenance an independent indicator of quality?

sseedragon

Reaction score
This is a Dark Gray Super 160 weight about 8.5 ounce

This is a Blue herringbone Super 180 with cashmere about 8.5 ounce

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have a jacket marked Super 180's. yes, it's wonderfully light and wonderful to the touch. and yes, it wrinkles like a mofo

Anachronist

Reaction score
If you have a wardrobe of various suits that allow you frequent change and therefore, say, an average wear of this suit of maybe up to max 10-15 times a year, you should be fine and it will give you, with good care, several years of good wear. I agree with the previous posters that fabrics in the range of Super 90-120ies are the best for business wear, but I also have some S150 and S160 garments (e.g. several slacks made of VBC Greenhills woolens) that are a dream, especially in summer. The only thing you need to really pay attention to is staying away from thorns and sharp corners... I tore one of my aforementioned slacks getting up from a chair just in front of a wall with a aluminium framed picture on it and the fabric got caught at the corner of the frame *ouch*...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads