• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have a 350Z?

UMass

Reaction score
I am thinking of one of these. I test drove a white one with 6 speed manual, enthusiast model. Any issues? I will trade in my Audi TT.

Mark_Y

Reaction score
My wife has a 2004 roadster. About 28k miles not a single problem other than a tire feathering issue that Nissan admitted was their error. They replaced her two front tires for no charge. I also just replaced the brake pads.

Great car, both of us like it. We looked at an Audi TT and we just couldn't get comfortable in it.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its funny you would trade a TT for the Z. not that you shouldnt do it.. but the way i describe either car to friends is... a great car that i would never own... although my tune has been changing for the TT over the years.. its ageing.

anyway.. i say go for it.. if, of course, you first test drive it and enjoy it.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You should just wait for the new TT:

2007-Audi-TT-Preview-F-1280x960.jpg

Jon.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UMass
I am thinking of one of these. I test drove a white one with 6 speed manual, enthusiast model. Any issues? I will trade in my Audi TT.

Which TT do you own? How do you compare it to the Z?

raley

Reaction score
I thought the TT was basically a VW Bug with a bodykit? Seems like a girly car to me.

UMass

Reaction score
I have a 2002 1.8T quattro version.
I would like a non turbo engine but still like to drive a sporty car. The 1.8T engine has lots of issues including oil sludge and gasket oil leaks. In addition, the quattro system eats tires or as the dealer says, it may be my driving style.
laugh.gif

I like to drive and not just in a straight line. Handling is important to me more so than engine output.
The 350Z seems to have both handling, power, and looks but I am not sure about the quality of Nissan products.

The 350Z and TT are both 2-door hatchbacks but totally different personalities. The 350Z is more of a muscle car that can handle while my TT is more nimble and use boost=lag.

Yes, the TT and Beetle share the same platform. The Beetle does not have quattro system although VW did make a superBeetle basically a TT with Beetle body.

Lamo

Reaction score
completely off topic, but i think the upcoming R8 looks stunning.

audi-lemans-05.jpg

inlove.gif

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UMass
I have a 2002 1.8T quattro version.
I would like a non turbo engine but still like to drive a sporty car. The 1.8T engine has lots of issues including oil sludge and gasket oil leaks. In addition, the quattro system eats tires or as the dealer says, it may be my driving style.
laugh.gif

If tire replacement frequency is a concern, there is only one car I know of that's worse than the 350Z: Acura's NSX. If your tire life is short on the TT then compress it by 5 to see how often you'll be going through new tires on a Z...

(Besides, I'd imagine going from the TT's Apple-like interior to the ugly hard plastics of the Z would be a huge let down.)

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Current 350Zs have had an alignment change to alleviate their tire eating problem, at the expense of their handling performance. High performance sells, but not many people think about the high maintenance high performance requires. I don't want to be around when people start getting bills for rotor replacements for all their Brembo racing-style brakes that are OEM on some cars today.

--Andre

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty clear step back. The gigantic, awful horsecollar was probably inevitable, no matter how incongruous it is with Thos. Freeman's original lines. Ditto the ugly current steering wheel, as opposed to the classic shaped hub of the TT's. But most glaring is the way the interior has been systematically denuded of the TT's charm. Compare:
Audi%20TT%20Interni.jpg
TTC060007.jpg
As you can see, all of the signature TT details have been watered down to mediocrity. The side-butresses on the center console go from being attractive padded aluminum spires to cheap plastic walls. The instruments in those hoods look straight out of the Pontiac playbook, even though everyone knows Alfa Romeo was the first company to use them on a modern. The needles have even lost their little dimpled caps. The aluminum accents on the center stack (radio cover, inserts in the HVAC knobs) are all gone. Even the artful shifter trim ring has been gone and the cool slatted cylinder defroster vents have been replaced by a bland and ugly plastic box. What do I like that's changed from the current TT? The headlights are nice. Actually the whole front end would be nice if Audi would just go back to regular bumpers. Beyond that, all I think this car does is cement the original TT as a once in a decade design icon by its comparative blandness.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to agree...I thought there would be more to it than that. I like the older TT more, simply because it was so different than everything else on the road. I have to disagree however about the center console, because it's not all bad, the curve towards the driver is BMW-esque (or rather should I say former BMW-esque?) and quite better designed for optimum driver reach.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads