• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone had any experience with GABRIELA HEARST menswear? Any reviews of the quality?

frasiercranes

Reaction score
The clothes are very very expensive and I have just seen them on mr Porter. Any reviews of the brand and the quality?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also this is the Classical Menswear thread, this should be posted under the Streetwear and Denim thread.

frasiercranes

Reaction score
They are like The Row. Overpriced. Run of the mill luxury designer fashion brands.
Where are you from? What are the non run of the mill designers? I thought the row and GH are pretty exclusive. Do they go on sale?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am from NYC, but I'm also half Chinese and Singaporean.

If you are talking about suits, shirts, formal wear, stay away from designers... They don't specialize in making suits, shirts etc.

You are like the typical new rich Asian, you want high end, exclusive brands that other people don't know about or are hard to get.

frasiercranes

Reaction score
I am from NYC, but I'm also half Chinese and Singaporean.

If you are talking about suits, shirts, formal wear, stay away from designers... They don't specialize in making suits, shirts etc.

You are like the typical new rich Asian, you want high end, exclusive brands that other people don't know about or are hard to get.
I’m not rich and I’m not Asian. I live in India currently. Everyone here wears gucci and LV. what do the old rich wear

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not rich and I’m not Asian. I live in India currently. Everyone here wears gucci and LV. what do the old rich wear
Ok, I assumed you were Indian because you are living in India. My bad.
I don't know what old rich wear, but they wouldn't care about the brand because they aren't insecure about what brands they are wearing. They wear whatever they like.

You talk about formal wear, suits, etc and you mention fashion brands only. I can't quite connect what you actually want.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you should start with how you want to dress and then find brands that will get you there. Then try to figure out if those brands align with your values regarding the treatment of workers, etc. As is, it seems like you start with exclusivity and class, which seems a bit status-anxious and counter to the sort of character you're trying to project (that is, confident and above-the-fray). Start with the aesthetic and then go from there.

frasiercranes

Reaction score
I think you should start with how you want to dress and then find brands that will get you there. Then try to figure out if those brands align with your values regarding the treatment of workers, etc. As is, it seems like you start with exclusivity and class, which seems a bit status-anxious and counter to the sort of character you're trying to project (that is, confident and above-the-fray). Start with the aesthetic and then go from there.
I have mentioned that I love Cucinell‘S designs in many posts. Even posted pics of what I like. I like understated designs and light colours. I’m dont wear suits. On the weekend it’s a plain blue shirt or a white shirt from finamore, boglioli, Eton, grey or block print cucinelli sweater, black or khakhi pants and leather shoes. Honestly most of the times it’s plain common projects or golden goose sneakers if i am going out.

more Often than not I wear plain shirts from massimo dutti and pants from M AND S. I rarely wear expensive stuff Or expensive watches etc.

i don’t think Im particularly confident though I do understand that I have looked my best and the most confident when I was thin and was working out. I could look great in a plain t shirt back then too. I don’t portray myself being being above the fray and I don’t really see the point in getting into arguments with people on online forums and take their judgements to heart.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have mentioned that I love Cucinell‘S designs in many posts. Even posted pics of what I like. I like understated designs and light colours. I’m dont wear suits. On the weekend it’s a plain blue shirt or a white shirt from finamore, boglioli, Eton, grey or block print cucinelli sweater, black or khakhi pants and leather shoes. Honestly most of the times it’s plain common projects or golden goose sneakers if i am going out.

more Often than not I wear plain shirts from massimo dutti and pants from M AND S. I rarely wear expensive stuff Or expensive watches etc.

If you like a very basic, understated look, I'm not sure your money is going to be that well spent on very high-end brands. It's all the same look. If you find that you fit well into those brands -- Finamore, Boglioli, Eton -- then I think it's fine to stick with those. Things such as chinos and white leather sneakers can only be so well-made, and the whole point of that style is to look low-key. The difference between one pair of white sneakers and another is very small if you're mostly looking at high-end companies.

Last edited:

frasiercranes

Reaction score
Personally, I think a lot of that stuff looks the same. So long as you find a brand that cuts something that flatters your body type, it's all beige chinos with a grey sweater and white sneakers. I think you'd be fine in almost any brand, but if you want things that are well-made, there's no shortage of options. Loro Piana, Cucinelli, Brooks Brothers, etc are all that kind of look. Nowadays, almost every high-end brand in that style bleeds into each other because it's all business casual.

But no one on the street is going to know whether you're wearing something exclusive or not.
I don’t care about people knowing what I am wearing or not. I just feel happy if I’m wearing something good. I think you are misjudging what exclusivity means to me. I want brands that are well made, spend minimum amount of resources of marketing fluff and blowing their own horn (unfortunately cucinelli does this a lot while selling its clothes to almost every online retailer), are truly passionate about what they do, not have logos, treat their workers well and are not owned by Kering, swatch, richemont etc. I hate the brand campaigns where they always try to push their stupid political agenda on liberalism. You are a clothing company. I don’t care about your posters of black males with white girls and Asian guys with black girls Or what you think about diversity And how diverse your office IS. I also dont like the kind of people who attend parties of such brands and have their Instagram pages flooded with lV and Gucci merchandise and Rolex watches portraying that they have made it in life. in some ways I would like to be the opposite of these guys.

A poster above called me a new rich Asian because I want things others Can’t Buy. I hardly wear brands and generally it’s only once a week and that too I go out alone. I don’t have social media etc to show off or really care about the perception of others about what Im wearing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate the brand campaigns where they always try to push their stupid political agenda on liberalism. You are a clothing company. I don’t care about your posters of black males with white girls and Asian guys with black girls

The road ahead is going to be very long if you're offended by seeing people of different ethnic backgrounds standing next to each other.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should have been more accurate with your definition of exclusivity then. Also the brands (fashion designers) you are bringing up reflects what exclusivity is.

lul.PNG

frasiercranes

Reaction score
The road ahead is going to be very long if you're offended by seeing people of different ethnic backgrounds standing next to each other.
I think you are trying to mould my reply into something that satisfies your priors about me. I said I don’t like political ad campaigns That brands indulge in. I didn’t say anything about not liking interracial couples Or people of different races. My wife is an Indian American and I am half African half Italian. I am not bothered by these posters but am bothered by the fact that these brands seem to be pushing a personal agenda to appeal to the liberal millennials chasing the Excess in everything. Kind of what Phillip plein and Gucci do

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads