Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Anyone good with electronics/circuits?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by otc, Nov 15, 2011.

1. otc

otc Senior member

I want to build a little box with a timer that runs a fan for a few hours and then shuts off.

I'll be using a 120mm computer case fan at something between 7-12V...right now, I can run it off a 9V battery but they don't have a ton of stored energy and I have to remember to turn it off. My design will probably use 6 AA/AAA batteries to spin the fan at a medium speed (although this might be too much voltage for the timer circuit).

I need to design a circuit that will use some sort of timer chip to run it for an arbitrary amount of time (6-12 hours...doesn't even need to be adjustable) and then shut off. I am comfortable soldering and reading circuit diagrams but I am not familiar with the sort of ICs that do this. I've used 555 timers but I don't think they are right for this situation.

Anyone have any IC/circuit suggestions? Know any other good forums where I could pose this question?

2. wootx

wootx Senior member

3. otc

otc Senior member

Ooh thanks, that looks like it does almost exactly what I want (except it does it backwards). If I flip the relay around, it should do what I want.

It looks a little complicated but I think I could put it together.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011