Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Anyone feel like playing a silly game?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AJL, Dec 4, 2004.

1. AJL

AJL Senior member

See my post on Gators. thread. A guaranteed timewaster. [​IMG]

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

3. AJL

AJL Senior member

to make it easier, here is post from Gators. thread: Quote (Brian SD @ 03 Dec. 2004, 3:11) I predict that no one will even want them so they wont go anywhere near the retail price in bidding. Does anyone actually wear alligator shoes? 16 bids w/ 9 days to go says you're in the minority. I predict they will end up over $1,000 (fact is, I was going to make this claim yesterday, when there was only 1 bid of $.01, but I didn't have the balls. 15 bids and $100 later, I guess they've descended....) When you present a reasonably good photo image, coupled with a highly embellished text that underscores exclusivity and desirabilty (doesn't hurt to mention the $5k retail price, either), you've got a formula guaranteed to bring 'em out of the woodwork. How about an actual prediction for how the auction will turn out: I say 32 bids at $1,550 final bid. I'm sure others here are better at figuring out the psychology of how these things evolve, but I figure there will be a number of bottom feeders hanging around 'til the bidding gets above several hundred dollars or so, after which they will fall away. That will leave the serious, core bidders who have already decided that they want the shoes and have a set number for how much they're willing to pay. I then imagine there might be 2 bidders left at the end, taking the auction up into the stratosphere; above $1,000. Any other predictions? Hey maybe we can turn this into a friendly competion, with one winner for total # of bids, and one for $ amount? The winners would receive...al pat on the back, or? Sound like fun? Sound stupid? At any rate, I've made my prediction, now its a game of waiting. Afterthought: To make it a fair playing field, anyone participating would have to cast their prediction by a certain date/time, say tomorrow (Sunday) by 10:00 p.m. EST.

4. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

OK, I'll play.

Bids: 41
    Final Price: $1205.50
    And I'll even guess that it'll be won by a US auction broker on behalf of a Japanese client.

5. AJL

AJL Senior member

update: it has been brought to my attention that there in are fact 4 pairs of these shoes being offered, with bids currently ranging from $305 to $501, with a bit over 7 days to go.

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I can't play; conflict of interest, as I will be bidding [​IMG] I'm no Pete Rose

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

None of them will break $1K.  In fact, none will sell for more than the brown Lattanzi wholecuts whose bid is at $799.99 right now.

8. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

$950.00; You guys have to remeber that the guys who are bidding on these are the same people that drove the price of that Japanese shoe magazine to $100+

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

3 bids. $10.52.

10. AJL

AJL Senior member

I don't know about that. We've got at least 3 potential buyers right here, one of whom (Phil, a confirmed shoeholic) says "Thats disapointing about the lack of shoe trees, but that wouldnt stop me from buying them. Â Even if they go for 50% off retail, its still a deal." Brian SD-- Â C'mon, man, you're killing my buzz... (or as J might say, you're harshing my mellow) [​IMG] [​IMG]Â [​IMG] Â

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Okay, okay. My honest guess given the current situation is $880, 34 bids. Oh, here's the original link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW Probably should put that in the first post of this thread too.

12. AJL

AJL Senior member

See, that wasn't so hard was it? Now you get to join all the other grown men wasting their time with this foolish speculation. [​IMG]

13. Phil

Phil Senior member

I cant give the exact final price of those size 11's, but I am fairly certain I will be writing the winning check.

14. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Alligator Lobbs are on Ebay too: Auction

15. marc37

marc37 Senior member

They won't go for much more than 1K. $1,200 tops.