• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone every experiment with Diesel's "Turbo Denim"?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the general feelings about Diesel on this board (and I feel the same about most of their jeans), but was wondering if anyone had tried/had thoughts on the "Turbo Denim" they used a few seasons ago? For those who never saw it, the idea was a specially dyed raw denim that would go from raw to faded in one month rather than six to twelve months. Seemed an interesting concept, but curious who, if anyone, had experience with the execution.

Jasper 47

Reaction score
Hi TimelesStyle, I know someone whos had a go with these and reported back - no real difference noted. I may be cynical but it does seem a little gimmicky. It also begs the question, would the quick fading slow up or continue quickly to a less than desirable "total" fade! Better to choose carefully if a natural faded jean is what you desire. I know theres a good Nudie version available Summer 12 season - not sure of style name, but price isn't bad and quality certainly matches if not exceeds Diesel. Check their website for more info.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I've tried them, although the pair I got stretched out too much. They maybe fade a little faster than other jeans, but I wouldn't say it's lightning-fast. They also claim that they stop fading when you wash them, but I have no idea whether that works (or even how it would work).

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi TimelesStyle, I know someone whos had a go with these and reported back - no real difference noted.  I may be cynical but it does seem a little gimmicky.  It also begs the question, would the quick fading slow up or continue quickly to a less than desirable "total" fade!  Better to choose carefully if a natural faded jean is what you desire.  I know theres a good Nudie version available Summer 12 season - not sure of style name, but price isn't bad and quality certainly matches if not exceeds Diesel.  Check their website for more info.

Thanks. If I give it a go it'll be the Diesels, simply because right now there are a few pairs on Yoox for like $75 so it's not a ton of money if they look like **** in three months. However they're a fit I've not tried, so may skip it all together also.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
didn't levis have something like this too a few years ago?

Gorecki

Reaction score
fyi, it's the 8y9 washes (or non-washes in this case) of 3 or 4 models,

also, there was (im sure about that since i seen them personaly - not tryed thou) selvedge versions for the european model Koolter 8y9

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fyi, it's the 8y9 washes (or non-washes in this case) of 3 or 4 models,

also, there was (im sure about that since i seen them personaly - not tryed thou) selvedge versions for the european model Koolter 8y9

Have you actually tried the Koolter? I saw them online but haven't' found a place that stocks them and am curious about the fit. Seems closest to the old school Diesels I used to buy back when they had more subtle washes and more normal fits.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I'd just call them a regular fit. Size down two if you don't want them to fall off when you try to wear them without a belt.

The only thing that's a little weird on them is the straightened yoke.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd just call them a regular fit. Size down two if you don't want them to fall off when you try to wear them without a belt.
The only thing that's a little weird on them is the straightened yoke.

Should I size down two because of vanity sizing or because of how much this particular model stretches? I'm a little skeptical of sizing down that much since Diesels tend to run a bit snugger in the thigh.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Both. Pretty sure I'm wearing them in this shot, and these are sized down 1:

NOZWr.jpg

Full disclosure: I don't have particularly thick legs, but they're definitely not tight in the thigh.

I have a pair in size 28, but I wanna wait until I can take them to the tailor to have them tapered before I start wearing them.

Also, almost all of my clothes are in boxes at this point because I'm moving in a week.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I experimented a little bit with the Diesel turbo denim and they were a very satisfying tight fit but I eventually got back with my wife because she's timeless (hurray for Botox!).

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both. Pretty sure I'm wearing them in this shot, and these are sized down 1:
NOZWr.jpg

Full disclosure: I don't have particularly thick legs, but they're definitely not tight in the thigh.
I have a pair in size 28, but I wanna wait until I can take them to the tailor to have them tapered before I start wearing them.
Also, almost all of my clothes are in boxes at this point because I'm moving in a week.

Thanks. My issue is that I do have reasonably thick legs and am worried about how tight they'll be in the thigh. I did make it to the Diesel store in Chicago and they had some washed Koolters to try. The 32 (my normal jeans size) fit in the waist but was too tight in the top block. Not sure what that means for the "turbo" version other than perhaps it's the wrong cut for me in the first place...

FWIW, Diesel may just not be the right brand for me anymore; I tried on some Vikers (supposed to be a regular straight leg) and the 32 was a bit loose in the waist but still too tight in the thigh...

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a thread here about a guy who gave it a try. Unfortunately some of the pics are not available anymore but these are his final words about it:

Quote:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is a thread here about a guy who gave it a try. Unfortunately some of the pics are not available anymore but these are his final words about it:

Thanks for posting this. I actually bought a pair of washed Koolters and a pair of resin sprayed ones and really like the fit, so I may try the Turbo after all if Yoox still has them. I'm not worried about experiencing the same fate as the guy above, since he tried this with a much slimmer cut, hence the propensity to have blow-outs in key areas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads