1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Ever Used "AuctionSniper.com"

Discussion in 'B&S Archive' started by Augusto86, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Augusto86

Augusto86 Well-Known Member

How is it? Is it a good service? is there a better one?

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

I use esnipe and I'm fairly fond of it.

3. Augusto86

Augusto86 Well-Known Member

I use esnipe and I'm fairly fond of it. Warren
    What do they charge. I think auctionsnipe charges .25 per snipe or 1%, whichever is higher. EDIT: I see esnipe has same feescale. Well, since I already signed up for auctionsnipe, I'll just use that...report tomorrow...

4. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

It's evil and no one should use it.

Because then only I would have the sniping advantage. I've used it for several years and never had a problem.

5. poly800rock

poly800rock Well-Known Member

6. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

works great

ditto

sniping a couple of things right now...god have mercy on them [​IMG]

7. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

If you've got a computer with a fairly open connection (and it seems most here do), there's several freeware programs that do the same thing as auctionsnipe.

For Mac, I use a program called JBid. Totally free, totally customizable, totally great.

8. Rolo

Rolo Well-Known Member

I use bidnapper.com and have been very happy with the results.

You can buy unlimited snipes during a specific time period (1 to 12 months) or buy a group of 10 or 25 snipes. They only get used up when you're successful.

I also like the fact that I can set up conditional snipes that will only bid on an item if I didn't win a prior auction.

9. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

I seldom bid on anything and almost never snipe. So you snipers kind of put my knickers in a twist, ignoring the whole issue of getting a deal on ebay.

However my former boss used to snipe all the time on used books on Texas folklore. He would sit in his office and watch the auctions go by and snipe manually. One day he got called into a meeting from which he could not excuse himself and lost out on three auctions. The price of being old school, I suppose.

The good news is that I've lost out on so many things that my wife and pocketbook are happy.

10. Buster

Buster Well-Known Member

I use JBidWatcher - a java program that costs nothing. Had no problems with it.

11. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

Esnipe works for me.

12. fashion_newbie

fashion_newbie Well-Known Member

I don't but I do know when someone beats me via sniping.
    I was never comfortable giving my password to some third party site. However, I am now trying out JBidWatcher. Lets see how well it works.
    -fn

13. johnpemberton

johnpemberton Well-Known Member

Buyers love it; sellers hate it. As i am a buyer and a seller, i have mixed feelings!

14. mano

mano Well-Known Member

Buyers love it; sellers hate it. As i am a buyer and a seller, i have mixed feelings!

Why would a seller hate it if it sends the price of their auction up during the last seconds?

Why would buyers (who don't use it) like it if sends the price of their auction up during the last seconds?

15. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Why would a seller hate it if it sends the price of their auction up during the last seconds?

Why would buyers (who don't use it) like it if sends the price of their auction up during the last seconds?

I imagine because you never know how much you're going to get until the end? Makes off-ebay sales harder to do as well if you don't have a clear idea of the item's value I suppose.

16. mano

mano Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I'm a buyer and a seller, as well. As a seller, it's a pleasant surprise when a sniper sends the price up during the last seconds. As a buyer I expect to be sniped and have a set price that I'm willing to bid. If someone outbids me, so be it.

17. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

As a seller I love it too. Why? Because I cannot count how many auctions I forgot to bid on before I used snipe software. If everyone used snipe software, the problem of holding off on an early bid (to avoid driving prices up, a smart strategy) and then forgetting to enter a bid before the auction closes, would not be a problem.

18. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

If you've got a computer with a fairly open connection (and it seems most here do), there's several freeware programs that do the same thing as auctionsnipe.

For Mac, I use a program called JBid. Totally free, totally customizable, totally great.

Does(a fairly open connection) this mean that you must be on-line for Jbid to work?

If so, that is a limitation, because the other programs work off a server. So you can set up your snipes and be done.

If anyone knows of a freeware program that works even if you are not on-line, please post it's name.

Thanks!

19. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

20. Rolo

Rolo Well-Known Member

Because it prevents a bidding war from breaking out.

Without sniping, someone puts in their max bid, say $100. They get out bid and price is now $101. Suddenly, the item that was only worth $100 to the original buyer may now be worth more. The thought process moves away from the total cost of the item to the incremental cost of winning the auction. Thus, if the item was worth bidding on, it surely is worth another $2 to get it. Moreover, watching the auction over a period of days may increase the desire for the item further justifying an additional bid.

With sniping, the original buyer never gets a chance to increase the original bid and thus the purchase price stays lower than it might have otherwise.

On the other hand (there's always another hand), the prevalence of sniping may result in higher prices because you have to truly put in your max bid to make sure you don't lose to another sniper because you don't have the chance to rebid as you would without sniping. For example, there is a pair of Alden suede chukkas (size 7D) [blatant attempt to prevent other SF members from bidding against me] that I'd really like. I put in my snipe bid when they were first listed. I've subsequently increased the amount of my bid even though there is only one low bid on the item because I don't want to lose these to another sniper (at least at a price between by original snipe and my increased price).

I think sniping may create the appearance of lower prices, but I'm not sure if it's really true.