• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone ever use tom fords mtm program?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Do you own some pebble grain trickers or similar boots? That'd look great with this outfit. Oh and you don't have uneven sleeves, you have uneven arms and who doesn't.

Those shoes ARE pebble. I don't have pebble boots, thought. Shell, yes.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Those shoes ARE pebble. I don't have pebble boots, thought. Shell, yes.

Ok, the picture I'm imagining looks great then, too bad photography is so unreliable.
laugh.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I think you need to put on some weight.

I eat pretty well. Swimming takes it all off.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ok, the picture I'm imagining looks great then, too bad photography is so unreliable.
laugh.gif

It's Lobb "buffalo" which is not really buffalo, but grained calf. The grain is more subtle than EG's country calf.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
laugh.gif

Here are the shoes:

p1050390zc8.jpg

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
It's Lobb "buffalo" which is not really buffalo, but grained calf. The grain is more subtle than EG's country calf.

Looks good. I never noticed if that's the case but do trickers get some love in here. I really like their country boots and would wear them if I was another person.

Edit: do you wear size 13 or something?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Looks good. I never noticed if that's the case but do trickers get some love in here. I really like their country boots and would wear them if I was another person.

Edit: do you wear size 13 or something?

11 E in Lobb, 11.5 D in Green.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
11 E in Lobb, 11.5 D in Green.

That's a 45-46.... Don't be sad I know someone who's a 47 and he's 5'11". With hands to match you look like the Boston strangler even when you're smilling.

brlfvr

Reaction score
Here's my latest tragedy. Fire away, douchebags.

p1050389ac3.jpg

I wonder what people would say if Manton's name wasn't attached to this photo. I would give this a C.
I think the top half looks a bit big. I'm finding that though showing shirt sleeve cuff is nice or mandatory on this forum. I find that to my eye it usually only looks good when the sleeve end is tight around the shirt, usually french cuff. Since I don't normally wear FC I find not wanting to show any or very little. Sorry for the sidetrack. I keep wanting to mention this and this photo reminded me since they look off. Back to topic. I think people should buy TF if that's the silhouette that works for them and they can afford it.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
2. Many in this discussion have scoffed at the notion of 'copying' what is 'original' to Tom Ford. But not all things are original, and not all original things are original in a meaningful way (ahem, Eric Glennie, anyone?).

Tom Ford has worked very hard to establish that he is offering something meaningfully original, and many people believe that he has. But the question remains: is a Tom Ford suit a meaningfully original thing? I haven't seen a satisfactory answer in the affirmative. The photo of Ramroop from the 70's alone suggests that Tom Ford's suits are pre-dated in many respects by at least one other source. Is a Ford suit meaningfully different from Ramroop's? Of the differences that can be identified, how many can be explained by customer preference rather than 'design'? If they are true design differences, are they significant? I think anyone should be willing to consider these questions when they want to assert something is 'original'.

3. When someone says "I like Tom Ford suits," it is not obvious he means that he likes Tom Ford suits in the same way SoCal likes Jil Sander suits (with great emphasis on the label itself). He might just like some, many, or all of the physical features. It might turn out that he wants a wide-lapel, roped shoulder, very lean suit--one that doesn't necessarily have to be by Tom Ford.

2. What exactly can be considered 'original' any more in the world of men's tailoring? There's only finite number of variables to play with. One can say that TF has updated the 70s-styled suit for the modern man.

3. If someone says they like Rubinacci suits, they could just really be saying they want a suit with shirt-sleeve shoulders and drape in the chest?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brlfvr
I wonder what people would say if Manton's name wasn't attached to this photo. I would give this a C.
I think the top half looks a bit big. I'm finding that though showing shirt sleeve cuff is nice or mandatory on this forum. I find that to my eye it usually only looks good when the sleeve end is tight around the shirt, usually french cuff. Since I don't normally wear FC I find not wanting to show any or very little. Sorry for the sidetrack. I keep wanting to mention this and this photo reminded me since they look off. Back to topic. I think people should buy TF if that's the silhouette that works for them and they can afford it.

The sleeves are wrong. The jacket just arrived. My sleeves are ALWAYS wrong. I will get that fixed.

It is "big" if you like TF and the like. It's a drape-cut coat. That's what I like.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Bernard Wilhelm is original although you'll be quick to point out it is heavily inspired by some historical attire.

WHEL_MW_SS09_0584.jpg
WHEL_MW_SS09_0600.jpg

As for Manton can you clueless people stop bugging us about his coat having drape; that's the whole point!!! It's not like I dress like him, use bespoke or drink his every word but it's what he likes and is consistant from one outfit to the next and well integrated with his other garment choices.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I used to go off and on hating LabelKing for thinking he was some reborn aesthete buying all of this old **** on eBay while living in the Bay Area with his parents; but, he's become more and more enduring as we've seen pictures of him out and about as such and now I love the little guy.

I wish you felt the same about me
frown.gif

I eat pretty well. Swimming takes it all off.

Against the tide?

Originally Posted by brlfvr
I wonder what people would say if Manton's name wasn't attached to this photo.

manton is styleforum's second favorite label.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bernard Wilhelm is original although you'll be quick to point out it is heavily inspired by some historical attire.

Historical attire? You mean, like, Jeremy Scott A/W '92?
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics